Night shooting rabbits with .22lr

Woodlander

I have a friend who has a rabbit problem on his land and has asked me to help out. I’m new to nighttime shooting and don’t want to spend much money on it.  Should I just try lamping, if so, which lamp would be good out to 80m, or would I be better going for a NV setup, if so, which model?

Thanks  

If they havent been shot for a while lamping should be no problem, also good fun. If they have then theres a load of cheap as chips add ons about that will do the job on a .22 no worries, probably pick up a second hand unit for 100 quid.

Hi all 

I used to use a night master red torch mounted on top of the scope for rabbit shooting until they got lamp shy so then moved onto a nitesite NS50 that worked well till they got wary of the infra red , then had to change to the 17 hmr . As said before if you can shoot one then hide / turn off the torch you won’t spook too many and can wait while they settle down again .expect to start spending money on new toys as it gets addictive . Happy hunting 

For a cheap entry into NV and perfect for shooting rabbits with a rimfire, you could do worse than one of these with the laser illuminator.  £145 all inhttps://www.precisionnightvision.com/product-page/night-vision-unit

Reviewed on YouTube here 

Cheers

Bruce

21 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

Thanks guys a torch it is, to start with and take it from there

Certainly the cheapest route , rabbits are pretty dumb in front of a lamp , I`ve had over 100 a night on many occasions with a lamp , NV is more versatile and works exceptionally well for foxing and on the recent cull.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally speaking from recent experiences with 22LR, I had way more successful nighta using sub 12ft pcps on rabbits than a 22lr, simply because its stealthier, and unless we are talking perfect windy conditions then they all just run away! But same time I had a lot of fun taking out rabbits at max distance possible with the .22 but watch for ricochet!!! It’s a dodgy round at times 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:28 PM, Killfish1 said:

Personally speaking from recent experiences with 22LR, I had way more successful nighta using sub 12ft pcps on rabbits than a 22lr, simply because its stealthier, and unless we are talking perfect windy conditions then they all just run away! But same time I had a lot of fun taking out rabbits at max distance possible with the .22 but watch for ricochet!!! It’s a dodgy round at times 

My Anchutz 1417 with an Atec-Wave & subs  is as quiet as many air rifles, i shoot sub 12 fac .20 air & 22LR. Originally with a superb home brew NV, sold last week i now have a Pard 007 but rarely use the record facility  & never the red dot