.22LR Shooting

Humphrey106

I generally tell people they should zero at the maximum distance they plan to shoot and learn the hold over/under for distances in between. If you are looking for a window of trajectory, that depends on the height of the scope above the center line  of the bore and your ammo.,~Andrew

With Eley subs I find a 55 yard zero suits me. With that zero you are dead on at around 20 yards and within 3/4", either under or over from about 12 yards to about 65 yards.

Expect to get a clean kill with a headshot at the range you can consistently hit a 2p piece.

1 hour ago, Humphrey106 said:

Do you have to aim under below 50m?

The easiest way to visualise this is to download a ballistic program on your PC or app on your phone. Something like "Strelok" is free and you can tap in numbers to your hearts content. With a usual .22lr set-up with say a zero of 50 yards, for the first 15 or 20 yards the bullet will be below your sightline, it then crosses the sight line, proceeds in a gentle curve above your sightline, rising about an inch above at the highest point then crosses your sightline again at your zero distance.

18 hours ago, Humphrey106 said:

what is the maximum distance I can expect to get a clean kill with a head shot?

If you cannot shoot for toffee, then 10 yards might be pushing it. If you can hold a good position then much further.

Only you will know and it will be based upon your confidence gained from grouping at various distances with your chosen ammo and from your usual hunting position.Your rifle/ammo combination should be up to a good group at 50yds and way beyond, then it is down to you and a good sight.

Zero distance will depend upon what distances are you going to be shooting at most?

On 12/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Humphrey106 said:

Do you have to aim under below 50m?

No, at 50m I place the crosshair of the reticle on the centre of the target only adjusting for windage either by adjusting the scope of 'aiming off'.