Reduced .308 Win Loads

Leezie

Hello guys,

I'm looking to load up some rounds with a mild recoil to get my daughter started with one of my .308's. (she's 8-stone soaking wet) I only use European powders (mainly VV N150 & N140) and was hoping someone could share their knowledge.

The VV website has a light load for a 100-grainer, using N110 on it and that's probably the way I'm going to go, but having said that, I thought I'd ask as practical experience is always valued.

Many thanks,

Lee.

Have you thought about something other than 308? It would be a shame to scare her off by hurting her with a big rifle. Do you have a 223 or similar to start her on? Of course if it's for deer or you need the energy for something else that's a different story but to start her off making her flinch wouldn't be a good start.

Thanks Mattnall, Yes, she’s used the .22 Hornet and .220 Swift. I was going to let her have a go on one of my Creedmoor too, as it’s less recoil than the .308’s, but she has a bee in her bonnet about the .308 and as you say, I dont want to scare her off it, before working up to heavier bullets and loads...typical awkward woman! :-D 

Per the V-V website, using N140 (which you have) it suggests a starting load of 46gn and max of 49.0gn with a 110gn Hornady VMax. 

I would say that should duplicate the recoil felt of a 6.5 Creedmoor with 130-140gn bullets.

Id suggest you move her up from the .220 Swift to the 6.5. Then transition to the mild .308w load...then slowly work her up to mid .308w loads.

The .308 is great for learning to read the wind whilst rapidly chucking lead down range.

Have you considered lead cast loads using a powder such as Unique?

You can buy cast lead bullets from people like the shell house bullet company on line and using a much reduced load over say 100yards, start to get a real feel for wind and elevation.

Don’t recommend this if your not an experienced reloader though and even if you are make sure you reference reputable load data from people like Lyman for example.

1 hour ago, SMLE said:

Have you considered lead cast loads using a powder such as Unique?

You can buy cast lead bullets from people like the shell house bullet company on line and using a much reduced load over say 100yards, start to get a real feel for wind and elevation.

Don’t recommend this if your not an experienced reloader though and even if you are make sure you reference reputable load data from people like Lyman for example.

+1 on that, Unique or Green Dot with H&N plated bullets (165gn RN) 0.5moa at 100yards, loaded to be subsonic, loudest noise is the bullet hitting the back stop. Bullets cost 13p each, powder 5p, primer 4.5p  - total 22.5p. Thats almost as cheap as rimfire. If you want the bang, just remove the moderator

M smiling in sunny Monmouthshire

Thanks SMLE & Miseryguts. 👍 I've been "rolling my own" for the past 35-years...started out with handgun reloading, but have never loaded hardcast (other than in a .45-70 Gov) in longs before. Just found the H&N's online. Just need some Unique or Green Dot now. Miseryguts, would you be prepared to share any load information that I could try at completely my own risk? 

Thanks again fellas. Much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Leezie said:

Thanks SMLE & Miseryguts. 👍 I've been "rolling my own" for the past 35-years...started out with handgun reloading, but have never loaded hardcast (other than in a .45-70 Gov) in longs before. Just found the H&N's online. Just need some Unique or Green Dot now. Miseryguts, would you be prepared to share any load information that I could try at completely my own risk? 

Leezie, I have a copy of Lymans lead cast bullet load book (can’t remember its title)! I’ll scan a couple of pages of their 308 load data and message you. It’ll have to be tomorrow now.

12grains of Unique seems to do pretty much anything 30ish calibre though from memory. Worked for me in 303 out to 200 yards with gas checks.

12 hours ago, Leezie said:

Hi, will PM you my load under the proviso that I make no claims as to the suitability or safety of the load, and can take no responsibility for any consequent damage.

M

Hi M,

You could try the H&N 110, 125 and 165 grain lead alloy, copper-plated and then plastic coated bullets. I use all three in my 300 AAC Blackout, and many at the club use them for downloaded 308 Winchester rifles.

The bullets can be purchased from a number of places, Black RIfle being a good choice. They have all three weights of the bullet in stock.

https://www.blackrifle.co.uk

I have the H&N reloading manual too and that has loading data for the 308 Winchester. If you want me to pass the data on, let me know.

Neil