Sassen cut rifled barrel

palo

I did the initial accuracy testing on several of the bore sizes, and have used them ever since.

They are the equal of any barrel made anywhere, and have a better internal finish than any of them.

The tend to shoot straight away, and are very good to work with.

While I always love to see someone winning such as Dan, and his most excellent achievements, I always find it laughable that people will only seem to take notice of a barrel, once someone wins an F class comp with one.

I've used Sassen/Border barrels for many years. Set british records with them, and had countless numbers of major customer wins with them.

Accuracy International have used them for years , with the enviable reputation for repeatable accuracy , their rifles have.

Buy one with confidence, its an excellent, British made product.

I'd buy them in a flash if I could, but they apparently only sell to "the trade"..................I like to keep a couple of blanks stored so that I can chose a local smith when the time comes.

I currently have Bergara and Brux.

Pete

37 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

I'd buy them in a flash if I could, but they apparently only sell to "the trade"..................I like to keep a couple of blanks stored so that I can chose a local smith when the time comes.

I currently have Bergara and Brux.

Pete

So why not buy a couple off your local RFD ? why would you expect a manufacturer / distributor to deal with the public ? 

Its the same with some reamer manufacturer wont supplie to the individual - theres no laws against it . Not that i know of . I needed a custom reamer manufacturer for me but 1 uk  manufacturer wouldn't .  I would take all component to smith once gathered . I don't diy smith anything . Tho iv had a krieger blank here and taken that to smith once ready 

Moorland if its specific custom non standard stuff if we wereable to issue drawing / diagrams with sizes , why cant we buy direct ? Its surly better to deal direct with manufacturer ?

5 minutes ago, gunner said:

Its the same with some reamer manufacturer wont supplie to the individual - theres no laws against it . Not that i know of . I needed a custom reamer manufacturer for me but 1 uk  manufacturer wouldn't .  I would take all component to smith once gathered . I don't diy smith anything . Tho iv had a krieger blank here and taken that to smith once ready 

Again, why would you expect a manufacturer / distributor to deal with the public ?  If they did it would alienate their trade customers who will be their core customers , ask you local RFD to order what ever reamer your want.

I believe some actually do , it would be fine if say a standard barrel / reamer was needed but if theres an issue with sizes (one off) drawing etc surly face to face with the customer is better and less hassle going thru hoops . When i had a custom Action made to my spec i was in direct contact with manufacturer and we made 1 or 2 changes . Then it was delivered to my smith , and paid for thru the smith . So not trying to take anything away . That's how id do it . Each to there own 

TV and cars are built to a standard off the shelf . Ordering non standard firearm parts to your specific needs is a bit different . atb

If i want something manufacturer for me to my spec and that manufacturer can & will do this , then thats what ill do thank you . That action was delivered to my smith and i took the blank and stock to him - he already had the right reamer . And i bought the trigger thru that smith - he never had any issues . 

ps sorry palo for hijack 

2 hours ago, gunner said:

If i want something manufacturer for me to my spec and that manufacturer can & will do this , then thats what ill do thank you . That action was delivered to my smith and i took the blank and stock to him - he already had the right reamer . And i bought the trigger thru that smith - he never had any issues . 

ps sorry palo for hijack 

You are missing the point of retail , your rifle smith will no doubt use what ever components you request made to your spec  ...if he thinks they are suitable , however if you order direct and there`s an issue with with something its your problem not your rifle smiths , you then have to pay to send the defective items back ,  and dont forget you are taking a cut out of your rifle smiths income if you are cutting him out of the deal , in the automotive trade no self respecting garage will fit customer supplied parts.

Maybe you could go a step further and build the rifle yourself on a £300 Machine mart lathe and when its best group is 10 MOA you can rant at your supplier for selling you dodgy components , they`ll then ask you to send in your barreled action ... but you cant as you are not an RFD and your local rifle smith has gone out of business trying to compete with precious penny pinchers  :)

Any RFD`s and rifle smiths on here are welcome to offer me a discount for fighting their corner :)

12 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Luck was on this beans side.

The wind gods have far more input than the makeup of the barrel. 

although I take all credit having met @furrybean a few years ago in a car park at ashbourne 😂😂😂

Dogging 🐶🐶😆

To put this to bed............my blanks come from a dealer.

I don't expect every smith to carry every make, and the guys I use know what they're doing.

Pete

7 hours ago, baldie said:

I did the initial accuracy testing on several of the bore sizes, and have used them ever since.

They are the equal of any barrel made anywhere, and have a better internal finish than any of them.

The tend to shoot straight away, and are very good to work with.

While I always love to see someone winning such as Dan, and his most excellent achievements, I always find it laughable that people will only seem to take notice of a barrel, once someone wins an F class comp with one.

I've used Sassen/Border barrels for many years. Set british records with them, and had countless numbers of major customer wins with them.

Accuracy International have used them for years , with the enviable reputation for repeatable accuracy , their rifles have.

Buy one with confidence, its an excellent, British made product.

Is there much price difference between the button and cut barrels Dave ?  And do you think the cut rifled ones are better ? 

There is a price difference obviously.

Cut rifled blanks are currently on lower lead times, which is why I generally use them more these days.

Both are excellent barrels. Have I noticed any accuracy difference between the two ? No, not in the shooting styles i frequent.

Some people want button, some cut.

Regarding supply, yes, sassen will only supply the trade, basically because they dont want to upset their trade, bona fide gunsmith customers. It also gives them the surety, that the barrel has been fitted, by someone who knows what they are doing, and will actually proof test the thing. Not so with a garden shed merchant.

Reamer manufacturers are of the same mind here. Plus the fact, the police do not like to see non RFD's buying chamber reamers, for the same reasons.

A friend imported a reamer from the states [non rfd ] and the police visited him, wanting to know exactly why he wanted it.

Its a simple matter of economics. A customer turns up with a blank, and the gunsmith loses the profit on that item. 

I will fit customer supplied blanks [only if its a decent brand ], but I won't guarantee the blank. Why should the gunsmith ? He hasn't made any money on it.

Buy a Sassen blank with confidence, they really are good barrels.

I've just replaced a .300 win mag border cut barrel on a rifle I built and proofed in 2011. Its had over 3500 rounds down it, and only just gone.

I've fitted another Sassen to it.

To add to this on two counts 

both Sassen button and cut barrels are excellent quality and accuracy - the ones I’ve fitted to customers rifles have shot very well

Reamers - there’s no issue asking your RFD to order the exact reamers spec you want and then holding it for you to only use on your builds