Nick 53

Nick, a tumbler can be used.  All you need is a small round container with a screw-on lid which will hold about 100 bullets. Put a small amount of moly powder in with the bullets and seal the lid with a bit of tape. Lob it in your tumbler (with media still in place) and leave for a couple of hours. Tip bullets into an old towel and remove surplus powder. You will now have 100 bullets which will give you less velocity than un-coated ones. You may be able to recoup the lost velocity with more powder - if there's room in the case. But, after all that - what have you gained? Hannam's sell the moly powder.

8 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Nick, a tumbler can be used.  All you need is a small round container with a screw-on lid which will hold about 100 bullets. Put a small amount of moly powder in with the bullets and seal the lid with a bit of tape. Lob it in your tumbler (with media still in place) and leave for a couple of hours. Tip bullets into an old towel and remove surplus powder. You will now have 100 bullets which will give you less velocity than un-coated ones. You may be able to recoup the lost velocity with more powder - if there's room in the case. But, after all that - what have you gained? Hannam's sell the moly powder.

On top of that there's also a reported problem of moly causing barrel life issues.

If you want to coat your bullets, forget the Moly and go with HbN (Hexagonal Boron Nitride).

Cleaner, far less toxic (it’s used in cosmetics), isn’t hydrostatic (meaning it won’t attract water and rust your bore...like Moly will) and withstands high temps far better (around 2000 degrees C).

Process of coating the bullets is virtually the same as Moly but worth swabbing the bore before each shooting session with a HbN + Isopropyl alcohol mix. 

water attracting is hydrophilic not hydrostatic

Interesting article found on-line

"Application of molybdenum disulfide in open air at elevated temperatures is limited to 700°F (371°C). Higher temperatures cause oxidation of MoS2 into the molybdenum trioxide MoO3 and sulfur dioxide SO2. The oxides attract moisture resulting in increase of the coefficient of friction.
In non-ixidizing environment and in vacuum molybdenum disulfide is stable up to 2100°F (1150°C)."

Hi, 

Still interested in using Molly or alternatively coating products. I've read a few articles. It's one of these topics if don't try I be always wondering I Wonder. My 90 gn are Molly coated in 6br using 32.0 RS 52 MV 3115. As for my scenar 105 viht 150 MV 2744.both give me a good group at 100 yards I intend to have a go and shoot at Diggle. 

I've got to try 

Thanks nick 

I've been using HBN in a 6x47 for a year now...........115 grain Tubb DTAC's, factory coated, from day 1 on a new barrel.

All I can say is that the barrel stays very clean, no copper so far (500rds approx).

Pete

9 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

I've been using HBN in a 6x47 for a year now...........115 grain Tubb DTAC's, factory coated, from day 1 on a new barrel.

All I can say is that the barrel stays very clean, no copper so far (500rds approx).

Pete

Same here.....little or no fouling. Its VERY easy to apply and no great additional effort. My main aim is extending barrel life in a 6mm SLR. Velocity is as required with 43.5g H4831.