MJR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Any guestimates on barrel life in a 260 ackley...??

running my standard 260 at 2850 with 140amax over N560 it was less than 3000 , I doubt the AI will improve that ?

Just to slightly move askew of topic I notice a chap called Mr  Saterlee (who is a “top” US PRS shooter - some may have heard of him ) uses 6.5 Swedmoor (6.5/55 improved)

His goal for 140 class bullets is 3000 fps

That hasn’t done any disservice to him I believe and not a 6mm,,,,

As stated many times, the reason most US PRS/NRL league shooters went back to 6mm from 6.5mm, was when Flashers started been used on long range targets.
They got fed up with no impact calls when the little 6mm's showed no movement or sound on the plates.
I know a couple of US guys shooting PRS and they said the advantage of the lower recoil of the 6mm's was nice but not really that much of a factor, when they are running rifles weighing between 20-28 lbs!
This year a lot of guys using 6.5 in PRL were using break's so that helped with recoil so spotting shots or misses was easier at distance.
I ran a warm load on a 6x47, but good spotters had trouble seeing shots at distance let alone me balanced of a obstacle!
Still deciding what to run next year?

Mark

Given that the PRL has announced that you will have to shoot both days of a weekend to include a pairs day out to 1400mtrs. That being the Saturday or Sunday depending on weather does that affect calibre decisions? See rule 7.1.2

I don’t want to be running two rifles to stay competitive. To be honest the longer ranges beyond 1000mtrs and beyond don’t interest me and I feel rail roaded.  

I know MJR won’t mind me derailing the topic as it is very relevant to calibre selection to actually “compete” rather than “take part” in the prl. 

5 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Given that the PRL has announced that you will have to shoot both days of a weekend to include a pairs day out to 1400mtrs. That being the Saturday or Sunday depending on weather does that affect calibre decisions? See rule 7.1.2

I don’t want to be running two rifles to stay competitive. To be honest the longer ranges beyond 1000mtrs and beyond don’t interest me and I feel rail roaded.  

I know MJR won’t mind me derailing the topic as it is very relevant to calibre selection to actually “compete” rather than “take part” in the prl. 

Some very good points here. PRL seems to be focusing on leading edge competitions and that's fine for folk that can compete at the leading edge, but for folk like me, still a long way back down the learning curve, there doesn't seem to be any less challenging PRL events to get folk started on PRL. 

Regards

JCS

One calibre to reach and stay stable above 1400 mtrs will require boiler room space Dave 

It’s not impossible though 

JCS 

ill be posting a list of dates for competitions across the country which will encompass all levels and hopefully provide balanced and non biased information for all in 2020 

As far as I know you don't have to shoot both days.
You pay for both as the the main day the SRP (Short Range Precision) runs on the best weather day, the Saturday preferably.
The LRP (Long Range Precision) day last year was given results and trophies on the day but did not count towards the years end result.
So you can build your rifle for the main day and have a play on the other.
This may change next year? 

25 minutes ago, walkabout said:

As far as I know you don't have to shoot both days.
You pay for both as the the main day the SRP (Short Range Precision) runs on the best weather day, the Saturday preferably.
The LRP (Long Range Precision) day last year was given results and trophies on the day but did not count towards the years end result.
So you can build your rifle for the main day and have a play on the other.
This may change next year? 

Of course you don’t have to shoot both days. 

but I don’t want to pay for 2 days and only shoot 1. 

I have a young family and one days shooting is far easier to arrange around family life. 

I am sure I’m not the only one in this position. But then it would close down the field of competent shots......

You are not the only one Dave, my poor rifles have to work for a living too..time limited, etc etc 

I’d never suggested a short action.

To quote Ronin;

“However, I am building something that will excel with 140-150 g projectiles that will mag feed, use all case capacity and not require magnum or 284 case“

Nothing in there about using a SA.

I personally don’t think a .260ai would be the viable option due to mag length constraints. Yes it’ll work but not ideal.

The 6.5x55ai in my mind is much more sensible as you can load seriously long (custom throat) and never have the bullet in the powder column. And there’s nothing wrong with using either Tikka mags or even long action AICS. Definitely been done before but the good cartridges never really go away...people tend to forget about them from time to time. 

17 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

To quote Ronin;

“However, I am building something that will excel with 140-150 g projectiles that will mag feed, use all case capacity and not require magnum or 284 case“

I personally don’t think a .260ai would be the viable option due to mag length constraints. Yes it’ll work but not ideal.

The 6.5x55ai in my mind is much more sensible as you can load seriously long (custom throat) and never have the bullet in the powder column. And there’s nothing wrong with using either Tikka mags or even long action AICS. Definitely been done before but the good cartridges never really go away...people tend to forget about them from time to time. 

Indeed, people should read properly, 260 and 6.5x55 are viable contenders  loaded to use the available powder space.

Milliseconds difference to cycle a long action over short and even less so with three lug bolt,,,,,😎

4 hours ago, Ronin said:

Just to slightly move askew of topic I notice a chap called Mr  Saterlee (who is a “top” US PRS shooter - some may have heard of him ) uses 6.5 Swedmoor (6.5/55 improved)

Really? For precision rifle? How long ago was that? 

4 hours ago, Ronin said:

21 minutes ago, Charlts said:

Really? For precision rifle? How long ago was that? 

He competes with 6mm Creed now or at least did last season.  From memory using 105’s .Having seen him shoot he could beat me with a .22lr .....

I think the Swedemore stuff was a while ago. I did chat with him about 6.5’s and he had been playing with .260 seated long to get the boat tail above the shoulder to get capacity and remove any concern on donuts.

Sound familiar ?

Tony 

2 hours ago, TC said:

He competes with 6mm Creed now or at least did last season.  From memory using 105’s .Having seen him shoot he could beat me with a .22lr .....

I think the Swedemore stuff was a while ago. I did chat with him about 6.5’s and he had been playing with .260 seated long to get the boat tail above the shoulder to get capacity and remove any concern on donuts.

Sound familiar ?

Tony 

I was sure it was a 6mm Creedmoor in March and definitely a 6mm Creedmoor for the Guardian and his training weekend. 115gr RDF’s going around 2950fps from memory.

@Ronin are you trying to push a specific agenda to suit or keep things factual?

9 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

To quote Ronin;

The .260 AI needs careful action/magazine choice.

Mine goes on my AX, and with a simple magazine mod, works perfectly. The AX mag is 2.900 which is plenty long enough. I can seat to the lands, and have a bulging caseful of powder.

The TRG is another good s/a to build this cartridge on, for the same reasons.

“Charlts” 

There is no agenda to push and all is factual

Simply one persons view point is equal to another’s

I mentioned the 6.5/55 improved as it is and has been used by a named “top” shot in on line video in which  they say this is the cartridge they are using I have no idea when the video were made - they are on line and do not look old 

Linked reference to the video and information one can navigate to the article in question here ;

https://ultimatereloader.com/2018/02/18/expanded-10-shot-load-development-for-6-5-creedmoor/

I believe you made reference to the “best shots” moving to 6mm - on that point another contributor to the discussion said this is possibly down to the visible flashing target markers used at some comps making hits with smaller calibre easier to spot

My own view is if all things are equal the calibre of the user is what matters rather than a particular cartridge - but the physics of 6mm vs 6.5 will allow the larger calibre to provide better indication of hit

It’s a heap of fun experimenting with different cartridges to see what suits YOURSELF  best though and excellent discussion 

I have my 6.5/47 which is used in competition and for killing deer (very effectively)

My other deer rifle is about to be decommissioned as it’s seen 15- 18yrs of service as 6.5/284,  on its fourth barrel in that guise and I am changing it for another make and cartridge to again do double duty as deer killer and Comp gun (just like the 6.5/47) - the only thing I want is an effective, accurate tool which works for the purpose I want it to do.

😃

13 hours ago, jcampbellsmith said:

Some very good points here. PRL seems to be focusing on leading edge competitions and that's fine for folk that can compete at the leading edge, but for folk like me, still a long way back down the learning curve, there doesn't seem to be any less challenging PRL events to get folk started on PRL. 

Regards

JCS

we all jumped in at the deep end last year although many of us have been shooting at the roundhouse for years , ultimately you just need to get your kit and come along , I've seen hunting rifles all the way up to full race guns and AI sniper systems , the scores didn't always reflect the type of kit and that's the beauty of the PRL in my opinion