Barometer app

Mark II

yes but only gives you pressure at the station - no altitude corrections.  Useful but I have to remember it's not local

38 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

yes but only gives you pressure at the station - no altitude corrections.  Useful but I have to remember it's not local

Use absolute pressure and it’s a guide if you have nothing else. I use the BBC weather app for what it’s worth. 

Ok I have the Samsung s7 which apparently has a barometer built in so that might work.

I am new to longer range shooting so excuse any daft questions. 

If it reads the pressure at your location does that mean you don't need to know your feet above sea level ?

35 minutes ago, Mark II said:

If it reads the pressure at your location does that mean you don't need to know your feet above sea level ?

that is right - provided the app isn't trying to correct for altitude and give you sea-level pressure (my Suunto will do that in some settings).  Sea level pressure is what's given by national weather stations so it's standardised for all users irrespective of local altitude.

What you are trying to correct for is actual "station pressure" ie where you are.  Set your ballistic app to "station pressure" too.  

In general correcting for air pressure and/or altitude only makes a usable difference if you have recorded zeroing conditions to extrapolate from - ie station pressure or sea-level pressure with altitude when you zero (along with temp and humidity).  What you are adjusting for is relative air density which is a combination of temperature humidity and pressure.  If you know that, apologies for mansplaining.

36 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

that is right - provided the app isn't trying to correct for altitude and give you sea-level pressure (my Suunto will do that in some settings).  Sea level pressure is what's given by national weather stations so it's standardised for all users irrespective of local altitude.

What you are trying to correct for is actual "station pressure" ie where you are.  Set your ballistic app to "station pressure" too.  

In general correcting for air pressure and/or altitude only makes a usable difference if you have recorded zeroing conditions to extrapolate from - ie station pressure or sea-level pressure with altitude when you zero (along with temp and humidity).  What you are adjusting for is relative air density which is a combination of temperature humidity and pressure.  If you know that, apologies for mansplaining.

Thank you that makes perfect sense now