Moderator Cleaning

Just wondering what others do to clean their strippable moderators such as Wildcat Evo’s.

I’ve been giving mine a scrub with washing detergent and warm water before drying and an oily rag wipe over prior to reassembly. This seems to be working well but feels very agricultural!

Is anyone out there being a little more sophisticated and using ultrasonic etc.? If so, any pro’s or con’s?

I tend not to want to fix something that isn’t broken, but I am getting bored of standing at the sink..... one of the reasons I own a dishwasher.

Might be interesting to see what others do.

4 hours ago, SMLE said:

Just wondering what others do to clean their strippable moderators such as Wildcat Evo’s.

I’ve been giving mine a scrub with washing detergent and warm water before drying and an oily rag wipe over prior to reassembly. This seems to be working well but feels very agricultural!

Is anyone out there being a little more sophisticated and using ultrasonic etc.? If so, any pro’s or con’s?

I tend not to want to fix something that isn’t broken, but I am getting bored of standing at the sink..... one of the reasons I own a dishwasher.

Might be interesting to see what others do.

Buy one that's not strippable, that way it doesn't need cleaning 😉

• 5 weeks later...

If they are really caked up brush on some Hoppes 9 or similar and let it soak , then scrub it with a brass brush , blast with brake cleaner , wipe off then a light film of gun oil and anti seize on the threads. Wear rubber gloves.

I hate unstrippable mod`s , you just know they are very soon full of sh**e , a few drops of rain or condensation build up and its all running down your muzzle.

Thanks fellas. Thought this thread had run its course to be honest after Pops “helpful” advice :)

Like the idea of an ultrasonic with paraffin Dellboy - never occurred to me to use that. Do you just run a cloth through the diffuser Dellboy? Any residue left etc?

10 hours ago, Dellboy said:

ultrasonic cleaner for 30 mins in parrafin  remove wipe and rebuild

Thanks for the advice.

13 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Thanks fellas. Thought this thread had run its course to be honest after Pops “helpful” advice :)

Like the idea of an ultrasonic with paraffin Dellboy - never occurred to me to use that. Do you just run a cloth through the diffuser Dellboy? Any residue left etc?

Thanks for the advice.

Sometimes just use a squirt of brake cleaner after wiping   or dump it in again ( i got the tip on parafin from David at the shooting shed ) .