Barrel import

gazzarM1

You don’t need anything from a UK perspective (no import license, nor anything on your FAC).

But you will need a US state department export license. Easy to obtain but can take months to receive it and it’ll cost you $250.

There are many good US exporters who will do the paperwork for you and arrange shipment to you (usually DHL). As it’s just a blank, it should pass through customs and be mailed to you. BUT...I would possibly work with a UK freight forwarder who will see it through customs UK side and post it to you. It’s very likely that your parcel will be opened by HMRC to confirm contents match what’s on the export permit. 
The UK freight forwarder will also handle UK Duty and VAT, which you pay directly to them.

Personally if it were me, for just one barrel blank, I’d ask a gunsmith to put one for you on their open license and contribute to their shipping, handling, duty and VAT costs. HPS can help with that. As I’m sure Pete Walker would. Maybe even Fox Firearms too.

One barrel or one hundred you need US export licence 

Without that you won’t get a barrel unless you ask a importer here to get you one 

This isn’t a comprehensive list but the following barrels are available in the uk

Bartlein

Brux

Kreiger

Shilen

Broughton

Thanks Gents

I was looking specifically at a HS precision barrel as that is what is on my HTR, it is still shooting well but I will be putting some serious rounds through it over the next few months .Thinking the round count is probably in the region of 1500 right now but given they allegedly guarantee .5 MOA at 5000 rounds it may well have a lot of life left in it .All I am seeking to do is get an identical barrel lined up for a quick swap when the need  arises .So I could ask a UK importer to get me one then from HS Precision or a third party over there ?

13 hours ago, phoenix said:

Have it declared as a "steel tube" on the paperwork

No problem for export or import

Cheers

Bruce

possibly, only issue is you will be breaking a Federal law = Levenworth with no parole 😉😁 

4 hours ago, terryh said:

possibly, only issue is you will be breaking a Federal law = Levenworth with no parole 😉😁 

If you are the importer, living in the UK, breaking a US federal law is irrelevant.

People in the UK break US federal laws every day, but they don't finish up in Levenworth

The exporter may have a problem, but you won't

1 hour ago, phoenix said:

If you are the importer, living in the UK, breaking a US federal law is irrelevant.

People in the UK break US federal laws every day, but they don't finish up in Levenworth

Whatever, if you are happy to knowingly circumvent the law then go for it, it is a personal choice how you live your life.

T

3 hours ago, phoenix said:

Tell that to those extradited for hacking US government computers just to for the crack with no criminal intent.

15 hours ago, Moorlander said:

Tell that to those extradited for hacking US government computers just to for the crack with no criminal intent.

Hacking a US government computer and importing a barrel blank are not the same thing.

If the company/person in the US chooses to sell a barrel blank to you in the UK, you have committed no crime in the UK or US.  The company/person selling you the barrel blank my have committed a crime in the US, but it was their choice to sell you the barrel blank and therefore they, not you, have to suffer the consequences.

Cheers

Bruce

6 hours ago, phoenix said:

Hacking a US government computer and importing a barrel blank are not the same thing.

If the company/person in the US chooses to sell a barrel blank to you in the UK, you have committed no crime in the UK or US.  The company/person selling you the barrel blank my have committed a crime in the US, but it was their choice to sell you the barrel blank and therefore they, not you, have to suffer the consequences.

Cheers

Bruce

You live in a dream world  , as an exporter ( which you are if you initiate the deal)  its your responsibility to find out if you need an export license to export firearms components out of the US , and guess what , you do if the cost exceeds $99.00, you even have to get an export license for a wooden stock ( see Boyds stocks) but carry on breaking the law if you want , only you will be prosecuted not me.

Just wondering if it is at all possible to ask a simple question on here in order to get an informed answer to said valid question without people taking it as an opportunity to start tearing chunks out of each other? 

Keyboard warriors ..Don't you just love them?

12 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Just wondering if it is at all possible to ask a simple question on here in order to get an informed answer to said valid question without people taking it as an opportunity to start tearing chunks out of each other? 

Keyboard warriors ..Don't you just love them?

If you dont want peoples views / opinions dont ask questions , if its too rough here for you try Mumsnet :)

Maybe you didn't understand - I was writing the post as the person, in the UK, trying to buy a barrel blank from someone in the USA.

If the exporter in the USA breaks federal law, by trying to send me a barrel blank and finishes up in the pokey,then that's his problem, not mine

12 hours ago, Moorlander said:

If you dont want peoples views / opinions dont ask questions , if its too rough here for you try Mumsnet :)

I asked a simple question requiring a constructive informed answer... at no point in the request was I seeking opinions or views .

19 hours ago, phoenix said:

Maybe you didn't understand - I was writing the post as the person, in the UK, trying to buy a barrel blank from someone in the USA.

If the exporter in the USA breaks federal law, by trying to send me a barrel blank and finishes up in the pokey,then that's his problem, not mine

I fully understand , you would be initiating an illegal export from the US, you dont have to be in the US to commit a crime there and a few people have found that out the hard way , read the ITAR regs if you have many hours to spare.

My final post on this subject, and my apologies to the OP.

You're still not getting it.

I can't force the US seller to declare a barrel blank as a steel tube, but I can ask him.

If he decides to declare it as a steel tube and falls foul of US legislation, then he takes the consequences.

Blaming me, won't do him any good, because it's his, and only his decision what to put on the paperwork and no, the Feds won't come after me, because I did not commit any crime.

FYI, I regularly import oilfield equipment from the USA and it's entirely up to the seller what they actually put on the paperwork.  I've had cooperative sellers and uncooperative sellers, but there's nothing I can do about that. it's up to the seller to decide what to put on the paperwork.

Cheers

Bruce

I do wonder sometimes....

The police monitor this, and other shooting forums. Simply bouncing a cheque intentionally will see your FAC revoked. The police deem you "to be of unsuitable character"

Post about defrauding customs and excise, illegally importing ITAR regulated gear, etc etc are just plain stupid. 

There are several companies who will import you ITAR regulated goods perfectly legally, I would suggest you use one of them.

Or apply for an export licence and import the barrel you want legally (stateside)

Dave is perfectly correct - the authorities do monitor sites such as this 

Questionable bandwidth discussing bringing in a barrel without the necessary paperwork and putting someone liberty at stake for the sake of saving a few pounds

Back to OP

For arranging export license is simple as it has been electronically ‘done’ for a good few years, I have used these guys several times with no bother:

http://www.reloadinginternational.com/

If you want template letter for end use etc. PM and I will forward.

you can sort the import end yourself but if wanting it done professionally give March Scopes a call:

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/tablet/index.html

If you have any doubts about any legalities US end this person has been helpful in the past in the relevant UG Gov department: Stephen Gies. Who can be contacted here:  DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov

Brgds Terry

Thanks again for the constructive info gents... it was never my intention to bypass any rules concerning importation of ITAR items just wanting to know the status of an unchambered barrel ….Think I know now lol ….fully aware  that I can get a host of different makes of barrel to suit my HTR but I wanted the exact same barrel to replace my current barrel when needed, originality etc.

Armed with the info given I can now look into sorting it out early next year.