New Rifle

I eventually found the time to head North and Visit Callm at PRS on Saturday to collect my latest toy,a 17ah. The rifle was built for shooting hares in forestry to save wear and tear on my full custom rifles(this is what i told myself to justify building it ;) ).

The rifle is a CZ 527 action fitted with a laminate stock and Lilja 20" number 2 profile barrel.I invested in one of the new riflebasix triggers for it when i was down seeing Baldie at SYSS and i must say it was worth every penny.The trigger was easy to install and is very crisp and predictable,i have set it at 12oz which is a fair bit heavier than i am used to but it still feels very good at that weight.I took the trigger down to 8oz without problem but thought that as the rifle will be used solely as a field rifle and in cold conditions it would be safer at 12oz.When COL48 was importing A-TEC mods i bought one of the rimfire models off him to put on it,to be honest i thought it may blow up when at proof but it passed with flying colours.To say i am impressed with the sound reduction would be an understatement,tested against a reflex the sound reduction was about the same but there was no echoing in the A-TEC due to its smaller capacity,for £60 what more could you want?.A shot a few fireform loads which went into just over half an inch so if accuracy stays the same or improves i will be more than happy.All i have to do now is wait for the rest of my RWS brass to arrive so i can start full load development.When testing the mods yesterday Lindsey filmed it so if any of it looks half way decent and i can shrink it small enough i will stick that up too.

A few pics

IMG_17ah0001.jpg

IMG_17ah0003.jpg

IMG_17ah0005.jpg

Another fine rifle to the collection then Martyn no doubt it will perform as well as it looks

nice rifle there 6ppc, maybe someday if they lossen the laws here they can start breeding in my cabinet too.

Sweet calibre Martyn

You can just imagine the conversation now

Mrs 6ppc - "Martyn is that another new rifle ?"

Martyn - "No dear I`ve had it for ages.I just haven`t shot it before " ;)

WSM

Guest 308Panther
Sweet calibre Martyn

You can just imagine the conversation now

Mrs 6ppc - "Martyn is that another new rifle ?"

Martyn - "No dear I`ve had it for ages.I just haven`t shot it before " ;)

WSM

Rotflmao...

I have used this....and believe it or not...It works.

308Panther

Very nice mate, looks the biz, and glad you like the trigger. We got the rimfire version in the other day, but it hasn,t lived up to expectations at all.Hope Lindsay,s doing ok........

get the bloody moss raked outta that lawn.............idle bugger! ;)

WSM i had to come clean on this one as it is totally different to my other rifles,when the other rifles breed they all tend to look similar which is a familt trait, same colours stocks etc ;) .

Riflemanread the scope is a leupold VX2 6-18x40,it was the only compact one with target turrets that i could lay my hands on,i must say though i am impressed with it for the price and it will do everything i require of it on that rifle.

Baldie i thought i would take the pics outside to save you complaining about how clean my windows are,i should have known better ;) Its not actually moss but grass clippings im just too lazy to rake them up,anyway after you rake 1/2 acre of grass you begin to lose the will to live :D

Colin,every time i open the cabinet door i find that they have been breeding ;) How is your coming along?

Should be ready for pick up in august,just in time for the foxing, Any chance of borrowing a rifle for a couple of week to see if they breed as well in my cabinet

Darrel you must have one tallent at telling porkies, either that or you are picking up some great bargins if the truith came out about the cost of my new toy i think i would be looking for lodgings , so lets hope i am as convinsing as you ;)

Hey buddy!! Looking very nice ;):( Shall be interrested to see how she performs!!!

As for women , im scared of them so i have more rifles instead ;):D:(

Have fun buddy................

All the best...............

RAY........................... :D :D

Good looking rifle Martyn, although the Cz wouldn't be my first choice it will be interesting to see how it shoots and bears up under the relentless pressure of shooting all those hares.

it really is amazing how many rifles we have that cost £50!

And how many times we all use the,,,,,"oh iv'e had it ages dear" as you scurry out the door to the range clutching targets, chronograph and boxes of bullets ;);):D:D

Thanks for the comments lads. As everone say's it is amazing how many bargain rifles we can buy for £50. Foxshot you are welcome to borrow a rifle but beware as rifle breeding is an expensive hobby especially with thoroughbred ones ;) .

Andy i went with the CZ as they seem to have quite a following in America for this type of project,i wrote off the ruger hornet after seeing one that had been built and its rather naff performance.I did not have the time to wait for an old sako and i could build two complete CZ based rifles for the price of a donor action.Both myself and Callum have been really impressed by the way this rifle has turned out,CZ really seem to have got their act together as the action is both very true and rather smoot for something so cheap.Im sure with it being known to be a workhorse type of rilfe it will hold up just fine,time will tell as it will see a lot of use and abuse.

Colin the mod seems flawless so far, i will let you know how it continues to perform.

Vim the 17 Ah has got to be the hardest,just because i own it ;)

Pnse i have bought a james clahoon mag which he has modified for his 19 calhoon and that works just fine,i also have one of his single shot followers on the way too which are supposed to be excellent.I am actually having a play with the original mag now as we speak,i will let you know how i get on.

Archived