small quantities

martin_b

Ok so im almost ready to dip my toe into the world of reloading.

As this is all new to me whats the best place to buy small quantities of bullets, primers and powder, so i can experiment a bit and work out what works for me. ( with a .223 M55)

cheers

Martin

good evening,i dont think you can buy small quantities of any of the above ,not from a shop any way,most 224 bullets come in boxes of 100 or larger,primers normally in a 100 count and powders ilb tub up wards. primers and powder can not be posted as they are hazardous items so have to transported at great expense to you.unless you know the person selling part tubs of powder be very very careful.bullets you could ask in wanted/sales section for part boxes but the postage will be about £4. try and locate a reloader close to you as if they have a 223rem MAY help you load say 10 of the bullets they have and for the cost of a packet of chocolate biscuits /4 cans of beer you can try those and hope you get the accuracy you require. if you shoot less than 300 rounds a year you will be better off buying factory loaded rounds,you dont say if you target shoot or live quarry shoot but ppu factory loaded rounds are about £16 a box x20and they do soft point and fmj.wilson and wilson gun shop is down your way and used to be reasonably priced.RELOADING TODAY IS NOT CHEAP.good luck

Martin,

perhaps a different approach?

Determine what you want from the rifle (as per above vermin or target) then ask around i.e. on here , for bullet and powder combinations that work in similar rifles or same rifle as you.

At least you will be reducing the number of combinations.

Also consider what components you can get hold of easily and reliably, no good developing anything to find that powder or bullet become impossible to get.

Just a thought!

Terry

Some Sierra .224 bullets come in boxes of 50.

However if you are constantly changing the bullet/powder/load combination you'll want to shoot a good few of each new combination through the barrel before you do any testing like groups or speed. You might want to decide what make/weight of bullet you want and buy a 100 and then play with a selected powder and vary charge to see if that works, if not change the powder and you might have half the box of bullets left to try the same development with the next powder. You might even use a full box of 100 bullets on one powder choice if you vary the charge in smaller increments.

Some powder, bullet, primer combinations just work, but that also depends on what you’re shooting and your barrel twist rate. 

Vhitavuori powders are good and usually available.

Sierra bullets are good in several weights for a .223

Federal primers 205M are good, as are CCI 450

If you’re looking for accuracy, then it might be worth buying Lapua brass, if not, Winchester, Remington etc are fine.  
As mentioned, check for consistent availability. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

Riffe is a Tikka M55, with a adjustable target stock, ( weighs a ton!)

Usage exclusively target..  barrel I was told is a 1/12, but the internet seems to think its a 1/14, and when i try to messure it seems to be somewhere between the two?

As a beginer Im more interested in the learing the mechanics of reloading and load testing rather than absolute accuracy. 

1:12" + would really seem to suggest you stick with 55gn bullets as a max weight. You might be able to get a heavier bullet to stabilise but there are plenty of good 55gn offerings out there.

SMKs are a very forgiving bullet and don't seem to mind a bit of jump, you could do worse than try buy a 100 box of them and play with loads using these. I have heard good things about the PPU match bullets but I haven't tried them yet, their 55gn FMJ are OK for the price, but 1" or more at 100yds and they become ETR fodder.
I have just got some of their 75gn Match to play with - a New Year's treat, loading and testing these.

good afternoon martin-b, good luck but i am sure the 75gr wont stabalise in a 1 in 12 twist so dont waste your money.have a look on henry kranks web site i think you can buy ppu bullets <55gr> and would be good to go,have fun and be safe.

Hi Martin,

Is see you're based in Reigate. I'm in Horley and have quite a .224 bullets in my collection, along with reloading and testing gear.

Do you go to the Reigate Miniature Rifle and Pistol Club? I could meet you there, or you are welcome to meet up if you want some help with reloading your Tikka M55.

Neil

21 hours ago, BlueBoy69 said:

Hi Martin,

Is see you're based in Reigate. I'm in Horley and have quite a .224 bullet collection, along with reloading and testing gear.

Do you go to the Reigate Miniature Rifle and Pistol Club? I could meet you there, or you are welcome to meet up if you want some help with reloading your Tikka M55.

Neil

Thanks for the offer, and to everone else for the advice.  I'm a bookham man Im afraid,  never been to the reigate club, but would be happy to meet up there if they allow guests.

Martin,

I'm the range officer at the Reigate range this coming Sunday morning (10th). You could pop along if you wanted to, though I might be rather busy running the range. If not some other time.

Let me know if you want some help?

Neil

On 11/6/2019 at 8:35 AM, BlueBoy69 said:

Martin,

I'm the range officer at the Reigate range this coming Sunday morning (10th). You could pop along if you wanted to, though I might be rather busy running the range. If not some other time.

Let me know if you want some help?

Neil

Hi Neil,  I was supposed to be shooting Clays this morning at Bisley but thats now been cancelled, so I may well pop in and say hello.