British Military Watches

Popsbengo 

What is it with you?? 🤫

Every &Lordy thread you have to jump in with the  ‘walt’ bit, or ridiculing anyone that does not fit in with your view - becoming a bit of a cracked record???

Humour we get 😂 bit of sarcasm - makes the world go round 🙄 but there appears to be an underling ‘beef’ - what, what’s the world done to you? 🤫

Brgds T

7 minutes ago, terryh said:

Every &Lordy thread you have to jump in with the  ‘walt’ bit, or ridiculing anyone that does not fit in with your view 

Every? I think you exaggerate T.

8 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Don't G-Shock do a Walt edition?

I bought a 1942 military Omega (many years ago), yet I have never served In the military, does that make me a Walt?

31 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

" Don't G-Shock do a Walt edition? "😂😂😂😂😂

Pete

Apparently I should shut up and not make sarcastic comments according to Terryh.   Please stop enjoying my stupid comments, I shall repent 😉

Just now, geek said:

I bought a 1942 military Omega (many years ago), yet I have never served In the military, does that make me a Walt?

of course it doesn't,  anymore than owning a LE No.4 or P14. 

What makes a "Walt" is pretending to have served thereby stealing kudos from those that have.  I think we know one when we see one at the range  - especially those sporting Army camo and G-Shock watch with the attempted 1000yd stare;  "I was there man, it was intense.."   😉😁   Deserving of nothing but ridicule and disrespect.

34 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I think we know one when we see one at the range  - 

I think one of the probs is that actually, most can't sniff them out, and even when sniffed out for them by those who can, many are too apathetic to care... there was one fairly well known 'smith 'outed' as a walt on here; many stated they couldn't care a less as long as he made a good rifle.  Welcome to honour and values in modern Britain. 😕

Anyway, great watch vid! 😊

59 minutes ago, geek said:

It makes you a very luck man. I bet it’s worth a fortune. 

above all I really rated the video and have been educated by its content. I have never had a desire for a watch until seeing that. But my bank balance won’t stretch to anything other than the £8.99 Casio which I have worn and still have like a lot of the lads at work. It’s the strap that goes first. I never thought about a nato strap. Might dig it out from the bedside draw and give it a new lease of life. 

2 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

It makes you a very luck man. I bet it’s worth a fortune. 

above all I really rated the video and have been educated by its content. I have never had a desire for a watch until seeing that. But my bank balance won’t stretch to anything other than the £8.99 Casio which I have worn and still have like a lot of the lads at work. It’s the strap that goes first. I never thought about a nato strap. Might dig it out from the bedside draw and give it a new lease of life. 

I have no idea what it's worth (would be interested though!). I have three decent watches, Rolex Sea Dweller (about 20 years old) with box and papers, Heuer Carrera (old, no serial number [the Tag shop were very keen on it]) leather zip box but no papers and the 1942 Omega. Also have a  manual wind 1974 and 1977 CWC and Hamilton military watch, the barrel shaped ones (not sure which watch is which year would need to check); but these need a service. However, the CWC and Hamilton are not valuable I just like watches. 

Ok, serious question:  Who or in what capacity was a soldier/sailor or airman actually issued with a watch?  I never saw or heard of such a thing while holding back the Russian horde in North West Germany in the 70s.  My brother scored a Rolex while serving in Oman in the late 60s but I suspect he bought it from an Arab (it's not one of those loverly ones in the video unfortunately)

10 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Apparently I should shut up and not make sarcastic comments according to Terryh.   Please stop enjoying my stupid comments, I shall repent 😉

Please do not go all ‘snippy’ because i pointed out your adding the ‘Walt’ bit to an interested post re watches was unnecessary.

Agree with you (and others) totally  anyone claiming to have served etc should be ‘outed’ but where does that come into this Op or any of the subsequent posts?

Humour/ sarcasm’s welcome, but in the right spot, please?

Brgds Terry

NB - I use my own name, not trying to pretending to be undercover or anything 😉😁

9 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Ok, serious question:  Who or in what capacity was a soldier/sailor or airman actually issued with a watch?  I never saw or heard of such a thing while holding back the Russian horde in North West Germany in the 70s.  My brother scored a Rolex while serving in Oman in the late 60s but I suspect he bought it from an Arab (it's not one of those loverly ones in the video unfortunately)

Would depend on job, and whether 'needing to know the time' was part of that job, so, generally, Cpl and above if in a command position eg sect comd, gun no1, tank comd, or, maybe LCpl as 2IC. Watches were G1098, issued to sub unit as MODACS for individual issue by the sub-unit Q: SQMS/CQMS/BQMS

Surely the lowliest squaddie was entitled to a watch of some kind ? How else could he obey the famous order to "synchronise watches"?

Pete

24 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Surely the lowliest squaddie was entitled to a watch of some kind ? How else could he obey the famous order to "synchronise watches"?

Pete

I think that's what bank robbers say in films 😂

Squaddies? Only rarely, if in a job that needed one, but generally no.... and some eejits would pride themselves on not wearing any watch in order to have a sort-of excuse for being late - wouldn't last long.

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Would depend on job, and whether 'needing to know the time' was part of that job, so, generally, Cpl and above if in a command position eg sect comd, gun no1, tank comd, or, maybe LCpl as 2IC. Watches were G1098, issued to sub unit as MODACS for individual issue by the sub-unit Q: SQMS/CQMS/BQMS

I was a Section Commander but no issued watch!  Maybe they thought by "T" band pay was sufficient to buy my own from the NAAFI shop 😁

It's unusual that the issue watch was actually of some merit because most of the personal kit we had in the 70s was rubbish (SLR excepted).

7 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

It's unusual that the issue watch was actually of some merit because most of the personal kit we had in the 70s was rubbish (SLR excepted).

Not sure they were that good - IWC, Rolex and Omega excepted- I think it's more about being hard-to-get coupled with the same mindset that thinks anything issued is special (as opposed to the reality of it being the product of the lowest bidder! 😂)

From memory some civilians working for MOD (N) i.e. civil servants, were issues with MOD watches if working in specific areas e.g. reactor.

But that was a while back, not sure on what todays criteria are?

11 hours ago, terryh said:

From memory some civilians working for MOD (N) i.e. civil servants, were issues with MOD watches if working in specific areas e.g. reactor.

But that was a while back, not sure on what todays criteria are?

You thinking of the personal dosimeters on g10 straps?

On 10/28/2019 at 7:38 AM, brown dog said:

My memory seems to recall about 5 watches in the Bty survey store issued to the two OP officers and their acks, (I was told to FO when I enquired !) the survey sergeant always got the pick of them. 

This would have been 71 ~ 74.