Ruger 10/22

gazzarM1

Nope, they all seem pretty much the same once the barrel is floated and with a decent trigger.

Some like the heavier barrelled versions and it might help with steadying the rifle but if you are carrying it around the fields (and this is a Varminting forum after all) that weight won't help much.

The problem with 10-22s is the abundance of parts, add-ons, etc.

You buy a good 22LR semi for a few hundred pound, and spend £1000s on all the gucci parts and in the end you still only have a 22LR semi. They will never be the precision rifle of a 22LR bolt gun or martini but they can be great shooters nonetheless. It just depends upon how much you want to spend to have the same rifle.

14 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

The problem with 10-22s is the abundance of parts, add-ons, etc.

You buy a good 22LR semi for a few hundred pound, and spend £1000s on all the gucci parts and in the end you still only have a 22LR semi. They will never be the precision rifle of a 22LR bolt gun or martini but they can be great shooters nonetheless. It just depends upon how much you want to spend to have the same rifle.

Agreed, done that. Bought a standard 10/22 now the only standard parts are the bolt and receiver! It's all part of the fun. 

I always fancied the look of the target model with the heavy barrel and laminated stock, although as others have said it's worth considering the liklihood of replacing most of the gun with go-faster bits since most of the original parts seem to be "acceptable" at best.. 

I guess it depends on what you expect from the rifle and your chosen application, however after a bit of a look for potential mini-rifle candidates the thought left in my mind was to look out for a used rimfire magic rifle and swap anything I didn't like rather than slowly replacing the whole gun peace-meal.

4 hours ago, clover said:

I always fancied the look of the target model with the heavy barrel and laminated stock, although as others have said it's worth considering the liklihood of replacing most of the gun with go-faster bits since most of the original parts seem to be "acceptable" at best.. 

I guess it depends on what you expect from the rifle and your chosen application, however after a bit of a look for potential mini-rifle candidates the thought left in my mind was to look out for a used rimfire magic rifle and swap anything I didn't like rather than slowly replacing the whole gun peace-meal.

That would be a far more cost effective option.