Bring back from the US

Spencer54

Spencer

Dies for annual press use have never been subject to restrictions as far as I know?

LRF’s probably down to the model you are looking at ie something ‘military’ would probably draw attention 

Scopes?? Not sure how that goes, I’ve brought back spirting scopes but again probably down to which scope you are looking at? 

the biggest issue I normally find is a US supplier accepting. a UK CC for delivery to a US address 

you could just call DDTC, I’ve always found them responsive and helpful

T

US scopes are ITAR restricted.

You'll need to purchase from a UK dealer who has gone through the proper ITAR export process. You can do the export paperwork yourself (I’ve done this) but it’s lengthy, costs a fair bit and is a bit of a hassle (especially just for a scope).

Dies are fine.

Rangerfinders I think it depends. The powerful ones (eg Vectronix) will be ITAR restricted (same as scopes) but the cheaper (and arguably less useful ones) may not be. I don’t know for sure.

Personally I wouldn’t risk trying to bring through anything, except for dies, in your luggage without the right licenses. You could end up in the clink State side!

So rather than get into bother I rang the DDTC and they were indeed friendly and explained that Rangefinders and scopes can be exported if you're prepared to do the paperwork and fees. No chance while on holiday so that's a no no.

She did say that if I have a friend who is a US citizen they can deal with the paperwork and then send it too me.

Dramas either way so I'll spend it on dies and reloading stuff.

Not all scopes are ITAR restricted, only scopes with electronic image enhancement or those specifically designed for use by the military.  Scopes for use on sporting firearms are not restricted.

Optics Planet for example will ask you to sign a US DOC certificate stating the end destination, this is free of charge.  Many other suppliers don't.

Here's the relevant info,

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=22:1.0.1.13.58#22:1.0.1.13.58.0.31.1

Go to 121.1, Category I, Section (f):

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)