Value for Money PRS setup

ds1

As the PRS / Send It / PRL and other similar European  “tactical” comps become more popular it’s worth trying to list some kit that may not be the cheapest or dogs dangles but is certainly able to be competitive at reasonable cost.  In this respect these types of competitions should exceed with different courses of fire and varied shooting positions in allowing the Indian rather than the arrow to be what matters.

Heres one take from a rig I set up for a friends client:

0D7B60D4-2F8E-417C-B6C3-588594764CE3.thumb.jpeg.d14d5df778bc9682baf6c47d577f85b9.jpeg

Background is a AI with S&B optic - over £10k altogether which is not realistic for most folk. However in the foreground is aTikka T3 Tac A1 with Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 HD2, Spuhr mount and fortmeier bipod for a much more wallet friendly £4Kish ( new) for quality  kit ( to my eyes the Vortex had better depth of field and contrast than my S&B pm2 5-45x56. Mercifully the S&B has slightly better resolution and doesn’t weigh a ton). 

What’s other folks ideas of “good” kit for these types of comps that won’t break the bank and encourage people to have ago ?

Wanted to add one caveat on this - what I am trying to get at, is on one hand why would you turn up with a tomato stick having spent good money on fuel, entry fees, accommodation, ammunition and food, not to mention time but on the other how to make stuff financially inclusive rather than exclusive. IPSC ( pistols) in this respect has been great in production and production optics class - you go out buy. £1200 quid CZ Shadow 2 and have at it.....just need to afford 50k round of 9mm each year to be really competitive.

In the process of making something special that will do all id wish (hopefully) and something not seen in the UK often - more of that at a later date.

At the moment I have a very functional PGWDTI Coyote action / bottom metal and mag, mated to Bartlein 8 twist, sat in PSE-ETac 4 with Khales K525i and MSR2 ret., Perfectly good for shooting from any position, but hampered, like many, to short action mag length. (in my case 2.900")

Had I built the rifle for a customer, there would be a 4k price tag on it, the scope being another 50%

Very functional and extremely accurate "system" that I use in the "field" on a weekly basis

Were I to buy off the peg, I think I’d start with a Tikka with sporter stock and go from there

Glass would be second hand Kahles or Schmidt 

On 10/15/2019 at 5:25 PM, ds1 said:

As the PRS / Send It / PRL and other similar European  “tactical” comps become more popular it’s worth trying to list some kit that may not be the cheapest or dogs dangles but is certainly able to be competitive at reasonable cost.  In this respect these types of competitions should exceed with different courses of fire and varied shooting positions in allowing the Indian rather than the arrow to be what matters.

Heres one take from a rig I set up for a friends client:

0D7B60D4-2F8E-417C-B6C3-588594764CE3.thumb.jpeg.d14d5df778bc9682baf6c47d577f85b9.jpeg

Background is a AI with S&B optic - over £10k altogether which is not realistic for most folk. However in the foreground is aTikka T3 Tac A1 with Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 HD2, Spuhr mount and fortmeier bipod for a much more wallet friendly £4Kish ( new) for quality  kit ( to my eyes the Vortex had better depth of field and contrast than my S&B pm2 5-45x56. Mercifully the S&B has slightly better resolution and doesn’t weigh a ton). 

What’s other folks ideas of “good” kit for these types of comps that won’t break the bank and encourage people to have ago ?

Well out of the two in the picture, I would take the Tac all day long ! 
Tac is 4 lbs lighter compared to the A1 , and that’s before you start adding weight to them with scopes ect .

accuracy wise .. nothing in it . Will be purely down to how good your home loading is.

Tac has a faster lock time and a smoother bolt . 

But for 10k I would get baldie to build me Two purpose built rifles 😂👍

Banus02, look at it this way Lowlight on the hide did a shoot off between the RPR and AI . The difference of outcome was not much and that’s from an AI guy. An RPR of course does not offer the same qualities as an AI but it gets the PRS job done. 

Andy, I think depends where peoples starting point is - if someone already has a good action (Tikka or better) there are great options out there for stocks, triggers etc but having just finished scrubbing rust off a mates T3 stainless that he put into a KRG stock, Bix n Andy trigger, had it threaded - it became an expensive way of creating a Tac A1. What I think  the likes of the RPR and Tikka probably do though is make tuning a bog standard Remmy 700 action less desirable/ cost effective these days.

OTT, if you like light - the Kelbly  NYX is a nice option. The AI has other qualities though and balances really well with a 20” barrel- appreciation for them qualities comes in a few ways ( there is one range here - sort of a sand box that kills kit, especially gucci kit - the investment of flights, travel and all the rest of the organisational agro is depressing when your rifle takes a dump). Ai’s are reassuringly much more robust in this respect .