17 hornet or 17 remington

Del

hi all

whats the better option 17 hornet or the 17 remington i know there is around 1000fps more on the remington but i have a 17 rem local to me up for sale and they seem to be cheaper than the 17 hornets that seem to few and far between . i will be home loading what one is easyer to get brass for ? . also because the rem runs faster are you looking at shorter barrel life of is it no worth worrying  about . av got 17 hornet slot on ticket so if i go down the 17 rem road will have to send cert back in thats going back in anyway to get bigger cal back to( 223 or may go 22-250) when i decide what to go for

cheers del

i chose a 17 hornet over the rem because it moderates better than a hmr imo no where near the noise of the rem.10.2 grn of powder gets me 3580 fps with good accuracy. withoubt a doubt the 17 rem out guns it on every level but where do you stop ? so many things out gun the rem .2" drop out to 200 with my hornet and its for sub 300 yard rabbits . it will push way past 300 but wind reading gets interesting. barrel life will be much less on the rem i assume and is the one your looking at new ?

The 17 rem will put a bigger smile on your face😀, but all depends on what you're thinking of buying, new or secondhand, used and the barrel could be well worn, it will definitely be less life than the hornet, brass never used to be a problem to get and yes you would need to reload the rem for accuracy, but it's a great round for instant splat factor😀, and when it's barrel is done get it rebarreled in 17 fireball👌

59 minutes ago, triggersqueezer said:

i chose a 17 hornet over the rem because it moderates better than a hmr imo no where near the noise of the rem.10.2 grn of powder gets me 3580 fps with good accuracy. withoubt a doubt the 17 rem out guns it on every level but where do you stop ? so many things out gun the rem .2" drop out to 200 with my hornet and its for sub 300 yard rabbits . it will push way past 300 but wind reading gets interesting. barrel life will be much less on the rem i assume and is the one your looking at new ?

hi nope not new i was kinda put off buying new as i took a big loss on a tikka t3x super varment with wild cat mod that i should have just kept and am waiting on fx impact mk2 FAC air in .25 so am after something to keep me going for the moment reloding realy love the reloading side of it all

I invested in a Weihrauch HW 66 Jagd-Match.  I rifle I absolutely love.  Not cheap, but there again, I'm a brand tart / can afford certain things.  I sold a "cheap crappy" Howa 1500 .223 for the 17H.  My Howa shot bugholes.

WHAT A MISTAKE.

The .17H was quiet.  Moderated very well.  No recoil.  No "feel".  Shot into 1MOA with the ONLY available round out there pretty much - Hornady 17gn Vmax.  I've never had a rifle that shot into 1 MOA.  0.3 to 0.7 perhaps but not 1MOA.  I don't reload.

I got suckered by the American bullshit.  50 rounds in, I sold it and went back to .223.

Pissed me off as I like fast little pills.  Cost me money but IMHO, it's not a 200 yard fox round through a windy valley perm.

17 Rem, 20 Tac, .204, .222 anything but .17H

17 minutes ago, David Hancock said:

Howa 1500 .223

so what 223 did you go back to (make,model) i was getting the 17 hornet as its been on the to do list for a good long time how do you rate the howa been looking at them and remington for another 223 or a 22-250 later

I have had both calibres,  and as you are aware they are poles part in terms of performance.

I found the 17 hornet - very quiet - for a CF -  obviously recoil is virtually non existent ( but so is 17 FB and 17 Rem)   I have had them all

The hornet was a gun that I enjoyed taking out in the warm summer evening with low wind... I had some very good evenings.

Unfortunately it all goes a bit south when its breezy  - and those 200 yrd rabbits that seemed almost too easy on still days - suddenly are being missed.  (at least for me)

My experience was to always reach for something meaner unless it was calm  - Therefore my 17 H spent too much time in the cabinet with me opting for my 223.  I can say from my experience with the 17 rem - I would have taken wherever I would have used a 22 or 20 cal CF.    If its too windy then  - we need think bigger than a 17 cal anyway for reliable hits

Also as a true foxer  -  the 17H  isn't in the same league 17 rem  - simply its bigger brother shoots a heavier and better BC  bullet  ( 25 or 30 grn ) much faster and hits harder.   The 17 rem itself -  doesn't have the same knockdown power of the 223/ 222/ 22.250 cartridges...  but have killed hundreds of fox with the five 17 rem rifles I have owned over the years ... enough to know that this is a reliable round for fox.     However all the 17 cals have little margin for error  -  bullet have to be placed in the kill zone.   The extra speed and BC of the rem helps with this

IME . the 17 rem will be the calibre to put the smile on your face  - and the 17 H was a little dull in comparison   -  That said ,   but much will depend on the type of shooting you do - the ranges you shoot over and the quarry you after.      The rem will be noisier  - but they both produce the supersonic crack and both moderate very well.  The biggest concern is buying a used 17 rem that is shot out.    Whilst they are NOT the barrel burners as they are made out to be ,  you still get some rifles that are on the shelf that are in need of a new tube.    I would definitely have it borescoped and check the throat for fire cracking and the rifling.

ATB

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, David Hancock said:

I invested in a Weihrauch HW 66 Jagd-Match.  I rifle I absolutely love.  Not cheap, but there again, I'm a brand tart / can afford certain things.  I sold a "cheap crappy" Howa 1500 .223 for the 17H.  My Howa shot bugholes.

WHAT A MISTAKE.

The .17H was quiet.  Moderated very well.  No recoil.  No "feel".  Shot into 1MOA with the ONLY available round out there pretty much - Hornady 17gn Vmax.  I've never had a rifle that shot into 1 MOA.  0.3 to 0.7 perhaps but not 1MOA.  I don't reload.

I got suckered by the American bullshit.  50 rounds in, I sold it and went back to .223.

Pissed me off as I like fast little pills.  Cost me money but IMHO, it's not a 200 yard fox round through a windy valley perm.

Much the same experience and agree with this totally. If it shoots like a .223 then why not use a .223?

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I get the impression that the hotter (centrefire) .17 calibre rounds aren't really well-suited to any UK species - overkill for bunnies and a bit short on projectile mass for fox.

Conversely the yanks seem to have a lot more stuff (namely marmots) whose size is far better suited to the larger .17 cartridges.

Personally I love the idea of the .17 Hornet, but would have absolutely no use for one..

HI Clover.

I have had about six 17 Rem rifles -  One 17 FB and one 17 Hornet. - so know enough about the 17 CF calibres to make an educated statement.

I thought it was a very odd point of view when I read that 17 calibre rounds aren't really well-suited to any UK species   -- especially for a calibre that has been specifically designed and created for shooting varmints.     Also that the 17 bullet doesn't have the mass for fox shooting.

We should bare in mind that in the U.S , the 17 rem is commonly used for Coyote shooting , and  these are far bigger and tougher than a fox.    The UK fox is no problem for the 17 CF's .   I preferred to keep the range below 250 yrds - but have dropped plenty of them on the spot at well over 300 yrds

On your point regarding "Over Kill"   -  aren't all centre fire calibres  over kill for rabbits ?     Certainly at close range -  do you need hundreds of foot lbs of energy to kill a rabbit  ?    And that same argument could be made for the 204  + any of the 22 CF s - and certainly anything bigger.

What the 17 CFs  do,   is allow you to significantly increase the kill range, above that of a 17 HMR.   whilst keeping very similar characteristics of the HMR such as no recoil ,  and low noise - plus a big safety factor over other CF calibres.    The 17 CF's are an inherently safe - High velocities and very frangible bullets mean that ricochets are extremely rare  ( certainly with Vmax bullets) .. in fact I don't think I had a single one in the thousands of rounds I have put down my 17 Cals     Furthermore when the bullet hits home - it rarely exits (on fox) - all the energy is dumped into the target.

From my experience - the 17 Rem or rem FB are absolutely suited to pest control in this country.  

They allow easy and precise shooting out to 400Yrds  

They have one of the flattest trajectory's of any CF rifle - One of the best point and squirt calibre -   out to 250 yrds  - virtually no drop

They have virtually no perceivable recoil , so you can see impact every time

A good hit will drop fox and every other type of pest species on the spot. 

They moderate well and don't need long barrels to achieve the stated velocity .   My last Tikka 17 rem shooting a 25 gn Vmax at 4130fps from a 20 inch tube.

ATB

S

sherlock what wise words you speak of the mighty 17 rem, ive shot more foxes in nearly 30years with my sako vixen,  i shot the biggest fox ive ever seen at 240 yds dont underestimate it, its a cracker and  ive seen alot of people putting down the 17rem on ukv i wonder how many of them have shot one  dave

P1000531.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, David Hancock said:

WHAT A MISTAKE.

So you picked a cartridge that you don't reload for, with only one factory ammo option and was hoping it might work?

Surely any cartridge could fall short if tested with only one type of factory ammo.

Neither of my 17 Hornets shot the factory ammo to even 1MOA, but reloading brought them down to around half MOA.

If using factory ammo, I would stick to to a cartridge with plenty of options, and that rules out 17 Rem as well as 17 Hornet.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, skydancer said:

hi all new to the forum having trouble getting powder for 17hornet 25 g heads went to the shooting show and got hold of some lovex d063 but cannot find any load data for this powder it seems to start on the 22 hornet not the 17 hornet can anybody help please

Work up to around 11 grains. IIRC I went a bit beyond that and was getting greater than factory ammo velocity so was probably over pressure. Brass was holding up fine though.

I have a 17rem and really like it, accuracy is good and recoil barely noticable , I have it set up as my NV deicated rifle due to the flatness of the round.

Downside, Brass, you will struggle to get it now, PPU used to list it but don't anymore, I was lucky and got over 100 once fired remington on here.

17FB might be a better option, a friend of mine has one, good performer but I think you'll have to get one built

On 2/15/2020 at 5:07 PM, skydancer said:

hi all new to the forum having trouble getting powder for 17hornet 25 g heads went to the shooting show and got hold of some lovex d063 but cannot find any load data for this powder it seems to start on the 22 hornet not the 17 hornet can anybody help please

Lovex DO63 is made by Explosia, who made the same powder for Accurate but called AA1680. They used to be the exact same powder (I have tubs with a sticker proclaiming this) and data could be interchanged. However, this could change (or already have) since the companies have parted ways... 

I worked-up a DO63 load for 25gr Vmax, Hornady brass, CCI BR primers. It was over 11gr but as already stated, use small incremental increases as the percentages/margins are relatively tighter in a small case compared to bigger. 

The Hornady factory 20gr Vmax load was  slower than advertised when I chrono'd it in my standard barrel CZ527 Varmint: in fact my 25gr Vmax DO63 homeload was surprisingly close in velocity! 

If you decide to try Lil Gun, while Hodgdon do list loads on their site, I found I was getting pressure signs well below their max load, even in cold testing conditions so be warned! (Same baseline parameters as them, otherwise).

Both Lil Gun and DO63 seem to be mucky powders so clean well to avoid corrosion. 

I want to neck size my brass, just bumping shoulder enough to chamber but trying to avoid headspacing off the rim. Haven't bothered to buy new dies yet as the accuracy has been satisfactory without, thus far.