Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Montey said:

On second thoughts just get a 22-250 or 243 win job done it's what I also use for the longer range over 200 yards permissions.

 Montey,

I've used a 22-250 for foxing for many years and loved it before buying the 204, it sits in the cabinet now only coming out for the odd lamping session, the 204 is out regular, and gets to shoot foxes over 200 yds 😂,   if it didn't perform it would be in the cabinet and the 22-250 would be back out instead !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Well you both want to start hitting them in the right place, just behind the shoulder!!

Please enlighten me on how you get Charlie to to co-operate and stand broadside for you every time?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BuckhurstBen said:

Please enlighten me on how you get Charlie to to co-operate and stand broadside for you every time?!

Make them run, then stop em,  they always turn broadside 😀😀👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob the  Fox  whisperer  😂😂😂

i know you shoot a lot of fox Bob so what load are you using in the 204 ? And what  velocity are you getting? Please if it's working for you then when I've got time I'll revisit the  204 with a 39g or 40g load and see what it does or me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction 

it does for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Montey said:

Bob the  Fox  whisperer  😂😂😂

i know you shoot a lot of fox Bob so what load are you using in the 204 ? And what  velocity are you getting? Please if it's working for you then when I've got time I'll revisit the  204 with a 39g or 40g load and see what it does or me.

 

I thought you couldn't be converted montey, and in less than 24hrs later!!!😂😂 😂😂😂😂.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, sako said:

I fancy a 204 but....

I see posts with people going back to 223 from 204?

Anyone tried both?

I know its all about bullet placement ,and You can read all day about ballistics ,but in the field does 204 clean kill foxes ?

 

 

 

Hi Buddy.

I ran both calibres side by side for over a year and done umpteen comparisons.     I came to the conclusion , the 204 didn't do anything that my 223 couldn't do..... but lost out in many other areas.

I know on paper the 204  would appear to have a significant ballistic advantage over the 223  ( that's why I bought mine in the first place  )  but the reality is far from that.   The advantage is based on bullet BC's that are inflated ,  and velocity's which are difficult to achieve. 

If you actually look at the reality of the 204 - it shoots a 40 grn bullet with a BC of approx. 0.250 at around 3700fps  - although its no slouch - its also isn't a big advantage over the 223... if at all .. is it ?  

For example - my own 223 can shoot a Nosler 40grn bullet at 3785 fps and still keep the groups size,  half of the 204 group as seen on this thread.  it does this from a 21 inch tube. ( not 24 + inches that the 204s seem to need)     Also with a simple change of ammo it can shoot the slippery 53 grn Vmax at 3400 fps - which IME hits harder and is a better choice for both foxing and mid range varminting than my 204 was ( using any bullet)  

As you mentioned ballistics ,   my own extensive tests confirmed that the bullet BC in the 204 are hyped up and over stated.   I confirmed this numerous times by comparing the MV against retained velocity at 200 and 300 yrds using 2 chronographs.

This explained why at 400 yrds my shots were always low of the predicted impact on Strelock.    Shooting my 204 and 223 side by side at similar MV at targets at 400 yrds the 223 had about a 1 inch drop more that the 204  - So as said not worth it. IMO.  

If you look a standard 223 with an 8 twist ,  you have access to a range of bullets with BC far higher than the 204 range... and therefore the advantage for long range target / varminting is certainly with the 223.... and they still shoot the light weight bullets and everything in between.  

I am not knocking the 204 - its a great calibre and clearly good enough for foxing  -  But after my fling with a custom barrelled 204 , it was sold and I kept my bog standard 223 Tikka in its place.   I also know quite a few shooters that have been down the 204 road , only to find there wasn't any gain over the 223.   all down to preference at the end of the day

 

ATB

S.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, Moorlander said:

What would you say is the realistic maximum range for varminting with a .204 ?

Went out with a buddy last Sunday late afternoon ( it's spring here). This farm has a terraced edge that drops off into a river valley and it's Rabbit Central. Took my 700 VS .223 and my gunsmith mate his .204 T3 Varminter (Edi knows who that is). Started shooting about 4.45 and we gave up before 7.30, more than 90 bunnies later 😁   Closest over 120yds, most 180+ and at least ten over 300yds. Clipped one first shot at 400 and scared another crapless at 394. Was very pleased with two successive solid hits at 275yds holding 10-12" into the breeze.

My std twist .223 is shooting 53gr VMaxs very well and his .204 39gr BKs extremely well. The kill rates were indistinguishable but the time of arrival was noticeably quicker with the .204 and the splat factor better under 250yds. I'd have a .204 like his any day. As for wind drift, you really need to go for a 6mm to make major inroads in that. The 400yd ones really needed my 6BR or 6x47L but I didn't have enough loaded ammo at hand to take either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

Went out with a buddy last Sunday late afternoon ( it's spring here). This farm has a terraced edge that drops off into a river valley and it's Rabbit Central. Took my 700 VS .223 and my gunsmith mate his .204 T3 Varminter (Edi knows who that is). Started shooting about 4.45 and we gave up before 7.30, more than 90 bunnies later 😁   Closest over 120yds, most 180+ and at least ten over 300yds. Clipped one first shot at 400 and scared another crapless at 394. Was very pleased with two successive solid hits at 275yds holding 10-12" into the breeze.

My std twist .223 is shooting 53gr VMaxs very well and his .204 39gr BKs extremely well. The kill rates were indistinguishable but the time of arrival was noticeably quicker with the .204 and the splat factor better under 250yds. I'd have a .204 like his any day. As for wind drift, you really need to go for a 6mm to make major inroads in that. The 400yd ones really needed my 6BR or 6x47L but I didn't have enough loaded ammo at hand to take either.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best shot with my current 20 tactical (same as the 204 but uses less powder) is 317 yards confirmed buy 2 people, not on a bunny but on a dog fox,

 

and

 

that was  with a drone and a sunranger ir torch, 40 grain pill dakota brass 23 gr of rl10x tikka 595 medium varmint built by neil Mc,

 

loungest bunny before i put the drone on it was 417 same mix.

 

bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Montey said:

Bob the  Fox  whisperer  😂😂😂

i know you shoot a lot of fox Bob so what load are you using in the 204 ? And what  velocity are you getting? Please if it's working for you then when I've got time I'll revisit the  204 with a 39g or 40g load and see what it does or me.

 

Montey, I've got a load with vn133 and a load that I'm using at the moment with vn530, both great with 39 grn sbk's both doing around 3800fps depending on the temperature, I found H4895 gave good tight groups and speed also but didn't bother going there.

I'd happily give you my powder load but I use hbn on my bullets, so unless you are a user of the magic powder😀  there's not much point 👍 .

My rifle did not like the 32 grn sbk's  but loves the 39 grn so never bothered with 40's, but if you do want to try 40 grainers might be worth getting some nosler b/t if you can find them, i rated them highly as a fox bullet in 22cal.

Have fun reloading 👍,  or stick with your 223 and forever wonder if the 204 would have worked for you!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy