595 .204 Ruger

This week's Tikka is a 595.

It came in for a re barrel in .204 Ruger.

The blank is a Sassen 1-10" twist, which have always been exceptional in .20 cal....they just plain shoot.

Its a varmint contour with the usual muzzle thread and cap fitted, 11 degree crown.

iPU3lPb.jpg

The action was decidedly shabby, so that got bead blasted , along with the barrel, and came up like new.

Its a great finish, is bead blast. A wipe over with oil, and it always looks like new.

swMAVmj.jpg

The trigger was completely stripped, and all internals polished. Re sprung, it now breaks at 1.5 lbs.

The customer had picked up a GRS stock for it, so I made a new recoil lug, which incorporates the front pillar. A far better, more rigid way of doing the job I think.

E6mIF1d.jpg

jRWlBC7.jpg

ilL6mVe.jpg

All in all, a very nice old warrior, which should give many more years of service, turning crows into something out of a Goth wedding....😂

I've had a chrome-moly barrel that'd been stripped and polished. No sign of rust after years. The only maintenance needed was an occasional oily rag.

The action on my Musgrave is the same. I just pop it out of the stock from time to time to check the underside.

Pete

WOW   what a great surprise, its my rifle and I am absolutely delighted with it. What a transformation ( I cant get over the shock of seeing it ) Dave has worked his magic again.Now comes the good part of working out a load for it so I can give the foxes and long distance crows a run for their money.Thank you ever so much Dave, I will phone you Monday.

What a great surprise to start the W/end 

• 2 weeks later...

Had to wait until yesterday to get a new set of picatinney  rail scope rings to enable me to fit the scope and zero the rifle. Bore sighted the rifle and away to the field ( with no stock in it ) and set up the target at about thirty yards just to get the shots on the paper, four shots later and we were ready for 100 yrds. I decided on Nosler  ( the brass is better for reloading ) 40grn and was delighted with the outcome  three  rounds in the bull and all were touching,the group was about 4mm. I tried some home loads that I had lying around, they were quite good but require a little fine tuning. My confidence was sky high now and decided to put out a metal gong ( bought off here)  at about 250 yrds, what a thrill to hear the bang and see it swinging on the chains.To say that I am delighted with the rifle in an understatement, it is a joy to shoot ,the bolt is silky smooth, the trigger breaks like glass. If I can find a night vision scope that suits this rifle I will be like a dog with two tails. Thanks very much Dave .

Hi Elliot sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was out with the rifle ( another dog fox ) it really is a joy to shoot. Anyway the barrel is a varmint barrel at 26 inch's long.To be fair it may be a bit long for some folk but I am too old to walk  across the fields at night. I have several huts placed around the farm, one on wheels which can be towed to where it is needed using the quad bike and I let the foxes come to me.Using a thermal spotter and a pvs14 the system is very productive we didn't loose any lambs due to fox predation last year. This year I may look at a digital night vision for the 204 and keep the pvs 14 for the shorter 223 it would probably be handier.

Regards  Malcolm

1 hour ago, malcolm said:

Hi Elliot sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was out with the rifle ( another dog fox ) it really is a joy to shoot. Anyway the barrel is a varmint barrel at 26 inch's long.To be fair it may be a bit long for some folk but I am too old to walk  across the fields at night. I have several huts placed around the farm, one on wheels which can be towed to where it is needed using the quad bike and I let the foxes come to me.Using a thermal spotter and a pvs14 the system is very productive we didn't loose any lambs due to fox predation last year. This year I may look at a digital night vision for the 204 and keep the pvs 14 for the shorter 223 it would probably be handier.

Regards  Malcolm

Well done, Malcolm. Top job! Sounds like you've got a great setup there. 

26" barrel sounds just about perfect to me. I'm running a 25" barrel in the CZ527 204. 

Love the look of that rifle though, Malcolm. I bet it's an absolute tack driver and should spit out 39gr Blitzkings at a good speed. 

It's left me wondering what magic could be done to my CZ. Not sure they use them much for custom work, though? Be nice to get the action trued up, trigger polished, custom barrel and bedded into an adjustable stock. 

47 minutes ago, malcolm said:

Maybe you can advise me I looked on the Optical Solutions website and the env10 and env15 have been removed as being no longer for sale,I do hope that he hasn't gone the same way as the irish guy  I forget his name

That's a shame if they have stopped selling them, I've not heard anything yet!!

Have you looked at the digiceptor from night vision store, supposed to be a very good n/v unit too.

23 hours ago, malcolm said:

Maybe you can advise me I looked on the Optical Solutions website and the env10 and env15 have been removed as being no longer for sale,I do hope that he hasn't gone the same way as the company in Ireland,  I forget the chaps name

Good news, cliff ray who sells  the env10 and 15 has said they will be back online for sale soon😃

3 hours ago, malcolm said:

Thanks for the heads up Bob.I take it you have a ENV 10 or 15 using a laser what kind of range can you comfortably shoot at, taking into account weather conditions etc.

I bought a drone pro 10x from Carl Moore a few years ago, when you got a free XLRM led ir with it😀,  and mounted it on a .204 , 320 yds is the longest fox to date with this rifle/drone combo, which the xlrm is about run out of steam at, shot another one at 300 recently which was sitting front on and could see it no probs so  comfortable at 300 with an led ir and good conditions, but a good laser would probably push that out to more like 400yds from what I've read, but who needs to shoot foxes in the dark at 400!!

You are spot on Bob who needs to shoot foxes in the dark at 400 ydrs plus, a lot of these keyboard warriors kid themselves on.I have been shooting more years than I care to remember, shooting one at 100 yrds with an old headlight and humping a motor bike battery was an achievement, ah the bad old days  

You're right there Malcolm, there's a lot of bull💩 out there, like you I've been shooting foxes for more years than I care to remember and don't take on 300+ yarders unless i have to, most of the time there's just no need to, but the good thing now when it's pitch black with no lamp shining around except the ir on, the drone/digiceptor etc will allow you to take that long shot when you do need to, you'll love it .

I still think you should check out the Thermion scopes as so many shooters are saying good things about them and changing from digital to thermal, I don't know if you've looked through a thermal spotter, you soon get used to what a fox looks like compared to a badger etc, and some shooter do it the other way round, spot with digital, shoot on thermal, maybe  some Thermion shooters on here will give you their thoughts.

8 hours ago, malcolm said:

You are spot on Bob who needs to shoot foxes in the dark at 400 ydrs plus, a lot of these keyboard warriors kid themselves on.I have been shooting more years than I care to remember, shooting one at 100 yrds with an old headlight and humping a motor bike battery was an achievement, ah the bad old days  

Haha been there done that, even stripped an old rucksack to the bare frame so I could carry a motor battery on it so I could stay out longer 👍🦊 I have moved on a bit now. Spot with an XP 50 and there is an XM 50 Thermion on top of the 22/250 now as I punted my 15 Drone.