UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Popgun

What scope for a Pard 007

Hi all

i have a Anschutz 1417 with a Bushnell Legend 4.5-14 x44 HD SF.

Up to now i have used a home brew NV with it & its excellent although bulky & takes a bit of time assembling & take down in the dark.

I have a new Pard 007 & the optics are poor & grainy but its easy to set-up & also used as a spotter.

So the question is, what reasonably priced scope will be better in your opinion

tia

Roger

The Bushnell Legend is usually quite good with NV add-ons - as you found with your home brew NV.

If you're not getting a good image with the PARD, then I suspect you don't have it set up properly.

This is the recommended procedure:

1. Before attaching the add-on, ensure the reticle on the Bushnell is focussed for your eye, and then adjust the dioptre on the PARD so that the menu text is focussed for your eye.  There should be a small screw that stops the dioptre ring from moving

2. Attach the PARD, switch it on, look at the display, and then, using the lens focus control on the underside of the PARD, bring the scope reticle into focus on the screen.

3. Look at the target and adjust the side focus on the scope to bring the target into focus on the screen

4. When you change to NV mode and use the IR illuminator, the side focus will need to be adjusted for the different wavelength of light passing through the scope

For the brightest image, have the IR illuminator set at IR3 (full power) and the illuminator lens fully extended (spot)

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, done all that. Home brew clear 007 grainy, Im out this evening on the bunnies, so will check settings

went out last night, pix qual no better but found the set-up is very "range" critical" to get a better pix, but still very grainy.

Still not convinced with the 007, i will be out tonight with the home brew.

I have now got the 007 set-up on a MTC Genesis 3-9 x 40 fixed focus, just to see is the clarity is any better , if so i will adjust out to 60m

When i bought the rifle it had a Hawke Rimfire scope, that struggled at 70m in 1/2 light, so its got a new owner

Well been out this evening with the home brew, i did take the 007 on a MTC  Genisis 3-9 x 40 just to try, i know it a cheap scope but results even @ 30m were poor.

The home brew is far clearer, i could see leaves moving on trees @ 50m , the only constraint was IR as my best IR pill, has gone duff, so on reduced power but it still exceeded the 007 for clarity.

Very disappointing & im not going to spend even more £s on another scope just to see if the 007 can be improved

Oh i got 3 rabbits @ 50,60 & 70m with the home brew

The 007's are excellent units, you have either not set it up correctly or it is faulty and needs to go back.

well im going to give it another go, sans SD Card, the record button cost me 5 bunnies last week

2 hours ago, stillair1 said:

Hi just wondering have you tried the pard with additional IR like aT20 unit.

The PARD uses an HD sensor that requires much more IR than a T20 can produce.

The on board IR on the PARD is much much more powerful than any LED based IR illuminator.

Cheers

Bruce

On 10/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, Popgun said:

Thanks Bruce, done all that. Home brew clear 007 grainy, Im out this evening on the bunnies, so will check settings

Go into the menu and check the EV exposure setting.

it is normally 0.0, but increasing the number makes the camera more sensitive, but the image noisier, reducing the number makes the camera less sensitive but the image less noisy.

Cheers

Bruce

I had the same with my Pard using the onboard IR & was ready to bin it, I them tried it with a Sirius IR laser & wow, what a difference. I'm using it with a Hawke WA scope BTW

Not if it does what you want - and it will.

I have one I use with a PARD NV008 and it does give a big improvement in clarity, particularly at longer ranges.

Cheers

Bruce

The first 2 outings with the 007, i really struggled with it, mainly the picture reproduction, my home brew is very clear optics & the kevgun pill in the T38 + youkon doubler was exceptional.Some of the trouble was also fiddling with the record button, i have never recorded & really dont need or want too BUT its there init, it cost me about 5 bunnies all told.
Over the w/e i had advertised the 007 i had only had it a week from new, but thought i would give it one more chance, as the battery life is very good, the battery life on the HB is exceptional but the torch used a lot of power as its "over clocked" pill.The 007 with IR only consumes much the same as the T38 & its much easier to set-up & fewer bits, just the 007 unit & range finder.
So it has had a reprieve ( for now :coffee: )
Got  2 this evening  at approx 50 & 70m

Oh i have fitted a green 37mm filter, this much improves the loss of vision due to light from the unit
eBay item number:382794565802

I thought these pards were ment to be as good as a drone Pro sure don't sound like it!!

OK, so you thought a £400 add-on would be as good as a £2400 digital scope?

The 007 is the best "bang for your buck" NV add-on available, but it's not a Drone Pro

Popgun is clearly not happy with his 007, but In have to say, that given how many 007s have been sold, he's very much in the minority.

Cheers

Bruce