Quandary

D Johnson

Hi All 

Not one for calling the police or reporting stuff as a rule. But I’m currently away from home working and the mrs sent me a screenshot off Facebook of a guy in the village nearby  posting a pic of a browning cynergy he claims to have just acquired !!. Now the problem being is this guy I know for a fact is not a licence holder or ever will be. Two ways to look at it are he’s either a total Walter Mitty or he has managed to get hold of something and is foolish enough to put it on Facebook???. I’ve a good working relationship with my FIrearms liaison guy and am tempted to just forward the screen grab on to him with a heads up on this character. Any thoughts guys ??? 

Personally, I think as license holders we all have a duty to ensure anyone in possession of a firearm is doing so safely. Safety is the primary consideration. 

I would say that if you know this character would never be granted a certificate (because of his character) then there’s a potential danger to the safety of others. 

If it were me and I knew someone who shouldn’t / isn’t permitted to possess a firearm, then goes and does something stupid with it (or just has an accident) and someone gets hurt, it would play on my conscience that I didn’t say or do something about it.

There’s also the potential of negative publicity to the firearms community if something happens. We all know that when something bad happens in the news, there’s always a crack down and tightening of the laws against law abiding certificate holders. We all get tarnished with the same brush. By nipping it in the bud and letting the police sort it out before it becomes a public matter, is definitely better for the shooting community.

The issue will be that he or others may discover that you spoke to the police about it, which could make it tricky for you (some characters can be like that). But I’d argue the safety of others is paramount.

If you are going to do something, just crack on and do it. The last thing you want is a thread on the internet debating whether to do it, with a username which appears to be your real name. 

If it's true and someone gets in trouble, it wouldn't take the brains of Sherlock Holmes to find the thread online and put 2+2 together.

Makes you wonder how anyone made decisions before the internet

20 minutes ago, Roy W said:

If you are going to do something, just crack on and do it. The last thing you want is a thread on the internet debating whether to do it, with a username which appears to be your real name. 

If it's true and someone gets in trouble, it wouldn't take the brains of Sherlock Holmes to find the thread online and put 2+2 together.

Makes you wonder how anyone made decisions before the internet

Like I said it’s not in my nature to poke my nose into others affairs. But on this occasion I was inclined to behave differently.  I have no qualms at all at about using my name on any forum I’m on I find that much fairer than the hiding behind a pseudonym like a lot of keyboard warriors. FYI the pic and comments on Facebook were passed on to my FLO earlier on this morning prior to the replies being received.  

49 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Personally, I think as license holders we all have a duty to ensure anyone in possession of a firearm is doing so safely. Safety is the primary consideration. 

I would say that if you know this character would never be granted a certificate (because of his character) then there’s a potential danger to the safety of others. 

If it were me and I knew someone who shouldn’t / isn’t permitted to possess a firearm, then goes and does something stupid with it (or just has an accident) and someone gets hurt, it would play on my conscience that I didn’t say or do something about it.

There’s also the potential of negative publicity to the firearms community if something happens. We all know that when something bad happens in the news, there’s always a crack down and tightening of the laws against law abiding certificate holders. We all get tarnished with the same brush. By nipping it in the bud and letting the police sort it out before it becomes a public matter, is definitely better for the shooting community.

The issue will be that he or others may discover that you spoke to the police about it, which could make it tricky for you (some characters can be like that). But I’d argue the safety of others is paramount.

Thanks for the input catch 22. 

3 hours ago, D Johnson said:

Hi All 

Not one for calling the police or reporting stuff as a rule. But I’m currently away from home working and the mrs sent me a screenshot off Facebook of a guy in the village nearby  posting a pic of a browning cynergy he claims to have just acquired !!. Now the problem being is this guy I know for a fact is not a licence holder or ever will be. Two ways to look at it are he’s either a total Walter Mitty or he has managed to get hold of something and is foolish enough to put it on Facebook???. I’ve a good working relationship with my FIrearms liaison guy and am tempted to just forward the screen grab on to him with a heads up on this character. Any thoughts guys ??? 

absolutely yes;  I'd have no qualms.

• 3 weeks later...