Ultrasonic cleaners

No i deer

I ‘borrowed’ a spare industrial grade ultrasonic cleaner from work a while back as the ultimate case cleaning technique, could do 3-400 brass at a time

It had programmable heaters, , sweep control etc.etc. 

Although it gave good results went over to a FA tumbler  which I use on brass now and then.

As per OoToT above, some fairy liquid and small amount of acid and even stained BP brass comes out like new. Cheap food drier finishes the job

T

My plan was an occasional clean just for the insides really and to do my muzzle brakes and maybe my S5 mod.

I clean my brass with a fine wire wool with a cordless screwdriver and the shell holder. Only takes a few seconds per case which is definately the quickest case cleaner by far.

Muzzle brakes are a pain to clean and was told yesterday the ultrasonic cleans them so there like new,I liked the sound of that 👍

Went down the same route recently.

Some good advice was given. In the end I went with a 3L U/S cleaner. I can clean about 200x 6.5x47 cases at one time or maybe 85x .338NM cases. It easily fit two muzzle brakes. It would fit a smaller moderator but probably wouldn’t do my long and chunky OLC .338 moddy.

With the above in mind, I’d suggest going for a 6L or larger U/S cleaner.

Got bulk acid and bicarbonate off eBay for cheap.

And a food dehydrator as mentioned was helpful. Can dry loads of cases at once. Just fit my brakes. Definitely wouldn’t fit a moddy though. 

Links to the kit I got in the following thread.

http://ukvarminting.com/topic/47369-ultrasonic-cleaners-recommendations/

19 minutes ago, No i deer said:

So what mix would I need for cleaning brass and what mix would I need too clean my stainless muzzle brakes and mod..?

for the muzzle break I use detergent in my US cleaner,  hot water too. 

For brass citric acid crystals (half a teaspoon) in the water will brighten.  Detergent will loosen the carbon

It's also recommended to run an ultrasonic to degas fresh cleaning fluid before putting in the items to clean.  Run on until small bubbles stop being generated and the surface of the fluid gently "boils"

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

So what mix would I need for cleaning brass and what mix would I need too clean my stainless muzzle brakes and mod..?

Refer to the thread I linked you to in the comments above. In there is simple instructions for a good U/S solution.

I use one of these:

https://richmondscientific.com/products/decon-ultrasonic-bath-fs-200b

They often turn up on used lab eqpt sites, and being "industrial" are a lot more efficient than much of the new stuff to be found on ebay etc.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

My first post so Hello all

I have just picked up a u/s cleaner from GT sonic it's a 100w unit and I am using Sea clean fluid, it seems to work well enough although it did take 3 cycles of 30 minutes to get the cases truly clean does that sound about right compared to the units any of you are running. 

My brass was rather dirty to start with. 

2 hours ago, Mark II said:

Ok sounds about right for my unit as my brass hadn't been cleaned for a long time so it should be quicker next time. 

I found seaclean about as good as a fart in a sieve. Try a tablespoonful of citric acid and the same if dishwasher liquid. Ten times better.

25 minutes ago, Brillo said:

I found seaclean about as good as a fart in a sieve. Try a tablespoonful of citric acid and the same if dishwasher liquid. Ten times better.

agree however I find a heaped teaspoon in two litres is good for 100 cases.  A small splash of Swarfega multi surface cleaner detergent works well combined with citric acid

If you're bothered about staining, (which won't have the slightest effect on your scores), rinse in rainwater or de-mineralised water, and blow dry with a hot air gun.

Pete