UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Hello all 

I've reloaded some 143gr Eld-x for a friend of mine and his new rifle . 

During development he's been getting horizontal strings . 

All ammo is cleaned once fired brass all trimmed and COAL is 2.810" 

Rifle is shot off prone with bipod and rear bag 100 m from target 

Below are to diffrent groups of exactly the same powder weight bullet etc .

The difference is the one group is 1.5" below the other 

The horizontal string is shot with 2 minutes between shots,  the standard 3/4" group was shot one after another 

Below is a picture of horizontal string the other group picture hopefully attached below 

Every thing on rifle is tight and has been checked . I'm not shooting the rifle my mate is I always thought horizontal strings were driver error or something loose . 

Can anybody shed any light . 

Screenshot_2019-10-06-12-47-56.png

One every two minutes  - could it be wind?

If not I'd suggest tightening the nut behind the trigger 😉

Driver error

Body alignment behind gun and target 

Head alignment with stock - the cheek isn’t in exactly the same place when firing eye position in relation to scope view not consistent 

Horizontal string - he or she is “pushing “ with their shoulder momentarily before the shot released in anticipation of recoil ,,

All can be corrected using principles of marksmanship 

Couple of videos from Brad Bourner who has provenance of the highest order and runs courses covering these principles mentioned in the videos (in a lot more detail than the video)

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/videos/improve-your-shooting-videos/rifle-skills-get-in-position

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/videos/improve-your-shooting-videos/rifle-skills-tighter-shot-groupings

I think it’s very hard to truly diagnose with just two 3x shot groups.

I would shoot some more groups (eg 5x groups) but all from the same position, with as little movement as possible and without too much of a delay between each group. So don’t shoot a group, standup and walk around then shoot some more. Stay prone and focussed on target.

I bet the problem is position, specifically rear bag stability. Concentrating specifically on shooting technique I think should be the first thing to rule out. 

If it’s still not obvious, get another shooter behind the gun and again try some more groups.

If that’s not resolved the problem, then look at the rifle setup in more detail. 

Gents 

Thank you for the replies I forgot to add, he that which promotes growth and vigour some 5 shot groups that were exactly the same. 

Fast strings group to a 3/4" 5 shot group, slow shots produce a horizontal string .