How much off mechanical zero is acceptable.

T65

To the OP 

what calibre are you using ? 
I too have Tic Tac with a Spurh Mount and a leupold Mark 5 HD 

and have just checked it mechanical centre and I can confirm it’s a pretty good chance it’s Not the rail on your rifle . Mine is showing .... ( in fact I’m going to keep it to myself as not wanting to annoy the PM11 fan boys 😂😂

lets just say it really is jolly good .

Recently at our club a member had exactly the same problem with this exact same rifle.

He setup had his scope with one mount on the integrated rifle picatinny rail and the front mount on the fore rail. He couldn't zero his rifle. 

We removed scope with mounts complete and fitted to the integrated picatinny rail. Zeroing achieved in 3 rounds.

I wonder it this is your problem?

Thank

5 hours ago, 1in8twist said:

Recently at our club a member had exactly the same problem with this exact same rifle.

He setup had his scope with one mount on the integrated rifle picatinny rail and the front mount on the fore rail. He couldn't zero his rifle. 

We removed scope with mounts complete and fitted to the integrated picatinny rail. Zeroing achieved in 3 rounds.

I wonder it this is your problem?

Thank

Hi 1in8twist

Alas the mounts are only on the rail and do not go onto the forend picatinny  rail.

Some mounts are indexed and they need to be on the right way.

I've got some I think are CPS rings.

The bottom half and the top half has a mark on it that match and should go together.

They may work the other but may change there line to bore axis....

Just a thought...... 😉

30 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Some mounts are indexed and they need to be on the right way.

I've got some I think are CPS rings.

The bottom half and the top half has a mark on it that match and should go together.

They may work the other but may change there line to bore axis....

Just a thought...... 😉

Thanks for giving it some more thought. There are no markings that I can see that would suggest indexing the tops of the mounts. It's looks like I will not be able to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for your consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party but it seems to me that you need to try alternative rings if:

1) your scope tests ok and 

2) you're sure there's no "fitting error" (again....just saying)

Jcampbellsmith made a good suggestion.  Try the rings that he suggested as they offer compensating adjustment in both vertical and horizontal planes and don't need any special moa raising rail to extend range considerably via the clever ring insert system.  Not cheap but superb rings.

I use them on my TAC A1 with a PM2 and have the set up almost perfect for mechanical zero (within a few clicks).  You have to take your time with setting up...even slight variations in how you torque the bolts can affect things.

Also, if not already done, have your "problem" rings honed.  You can purchase machined rods and use engineer's blue or some other method the hone the rings if needed or have a gunsmith do this for you.  Could be something as simple as that.

There is a final point that you oughtn't overlook. When calculating available thresholds for adjustment, it's wise not to count the whole number of clicks as being available.  Discount the last 3 to 5 because often this is where you can have some binding on turrets that can lead to discrepancies between adjustments.  So if you have 93 clicks from centre to each side, count on using only 88 to 90.  It's not a good thing to wind any scope all the way out...a bit of mechanical sympathy is a good thing!

Hi VarmLR

Thank you for your input. I tried refitting the mount backwards and it made no difference to the horizontal which was a surprise. I expected it to go the other way and it didn't. I then tried mounting it further forward on the rail and have clawed back an extra 10 clicks. Nothing on the rail to indicate why this has happened. I have now decided that I can live with the amount I now have. The Tic Tac is shooting at less than 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards so I am happy with that.

Thanks for all the input guys.