Barrel manufacturers

Jayjay1

I use a mix of Bartlein, Brux and a Lothar Walther on my rifles

I use Sassen, Bartlein, Brux, Lothar Walther for customers rifle builds

Had/have  Bartlein, Lilja, Lothar Walther, Bergara, Hardy, Border and now a Hawk Hill. Honestly did not notice much difference between Lilja, Bartlein and Hawk Hill. They are just fantastic, so easy to get to shoot and seem in a different league to the rest. (At least of what I had.)

edi  

J

currently Krieger, Benchmark (CF & RF) , Shultz and Larsen and Lothar

I have run Broughton, Lilja, Shilen, Border.

No issues with any of them

To be honest do not think you will miss due to the barrel, go with the recommendation of your chosen Smith, he’s the one doing the work and should stand by it

T

My “running “ is deer associate “ear tickling” and some steel and paper target shoots across the country 

Currently shooting two Bartlein (6.5mm and .338).

Have had Bergara in the past, good for the money.

About to have a GB cut rifling barrel spun up (former Border Barrels chaps).

Awaiting a new rifle from the States complete with a handful of cut rifled PROOF barrels (not the carbon fibre but their all stainless barrels in their ‘competition’ contour).

I’ve found the Bartlein’s are easier to clean than the Bergara was.

On the subject of cleaning 

I put fifty rounds through a Bartlein a few weeks ago in “field management” conditions - the barrel cleaned the following evening - it took eight patches to come showing no carbon or copper 

They are worth the extra expense 

9 hours ago, Mattnall said:

What's this running everyone seems to be doing with their rifles just lately? And I know it's not CSR they've entered.

It’s all part of the new “ urban operator “ 

language 

you tend to  see them in little groups on range days. Normally sporting beards. Shortish hair, Smock type jackets/cargo trousers and Casio G  shock watch’s. 😂😂

Hmmm you all know who you are . 

35 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

language 

you tend to  see them in little groups on range days. Normally sporting beards. Shortish hair, Smock type jackets/cargo trousers and Casio G  shock watch’s. 😂😂

hit the nail on the head !😂😂

Walters & bloaters on a day out

I use Sassen and Bartlien on my own rifles, and the same in the shop.

There are plenty of good barrels out there, but beware. Most of the American stuff is button rifled [nothing wrong with that ] at CUT rifled blank price.

The Sassen cut rifled blanks clean easier than any of them. 

In the stable at the moment are Bartlein, Border cut, GB Barrels cut, Sassen cut, Shilen and Lothar Walther. I am about to add another GB cut to replace the Bartlein 

all of them have been fantastic, accurate and clean easily

12 hours ago, One on top of two said:

language 

The chaps who enter a room and “sweep it” 

”Shooting” - “spotting” calls on the firing point and claim to be called Wupert

Those with fond memories of their time in “the regiment and seal team six”

Those who claim to be military but in fact short term reservist or weekend S A S (Saturday and Sunday) and those whom are members of the “Artists Club”  under false pretences 

Ja,  easily spotted, multi cam is soooo yesterday darling 😂

Stolen valour...... 🤬

Getting the thread back on track - I don’t think you will really go wrong with the choice available over here

If the end use is sporting or for competition I’d be more selective with choice but that wasn’t what was asked 

11 hours ago, One on top of two said:

language 

What's wrong with beards and casio G's? 😜

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Those who claim to be military but in fact short term reservist or weekend S A S (Saturday and Sunday) and those whom are members of the “Artists Club” 

Stolen valour...... 🤬

I don't think lumping the  "Artists Club" in with aforementioned Walts etc is at all fair.   Ex serving military of all ranks deserving of respect.

Your quite correct

Have emended the post to include “members of the Artists Club under false pretences”

I get a little heated when this subject comes up as I absolutely despise stolen valour and have the deepest respect for those who serve our country.

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Those who claim to be military but in fact short term reservist or weekend S A S (Saturday and Sunday) and those whom are members of the “Artists Club” 

Stolen valour...... 🤬

Haha see we all know them. I have a good mate  who on Friday evenings around 5pm. ( when he finished work for the week  ) turn into a black  site operater who by looks alone could kill Andy mc nab with a five finger death punch !! 

Sunday night he turns back into the tart we know as Paul who in the real world he goes around filling costa coffee machines 

god bless them. And there kestrels. 

35 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Your quite correct

Have emended the post to include “members of the Artists Club under false pretences”

I get a little heated when this subject comes up as I absolutely despise stolen valour and have the deepest respect for those who serve our country.

👍

22 hours ago, terryh said:

To be honest do not think you will miss due to the barrel, go with the recommendation of your chosen Smith, he’s the one doing the work and should stand by it

I think this is good advice.

Talk to the person you plan to use to rebarrel or build your rifle and tell them what you hope to get from their work in terms of accuracy, see what they think and also to what level they will stand by their work and what contingencies they have should you run into problems getting it to shoot.

Ive found that most quality rifle barrels are better than the shooters using them in terms of both their ability to shoot well/consistently and also their ability/understanding of what it takes to develop a stable accurate load. 

I use mainly Bartlein and Kreiger barrels because they are world class and there is also a good supply of them in the UK, there are also some other good barrels available if you feel you need to look past the ones I mention.

6 minutes ago, No i deer said:

You think 😆

Sassen have been doing cut rifling for a while now , 

ive had plenty of the button cut on my hunting rifles , that was when they where know as Border barrels . 

I have had nothing but praise for the lads over the years , always done an excellent job.

even toying with a sassen for my creedmoor.