F Class Tikka

Ronin

Well something a little different

Or rather a different choice of action for a precision F Open Class rifle.

Customer supplied the base barrelled action (a relatively new and unused stainless Tikka T3 in 270 Win) 

They also sourced as straight parallel profile Brux 9 twist barrel - the problem being the diameter of the blank (1.250") 

Tikka barrel shanks are 1.150' diameter and certainly the action would be "stressed" if fitted with a parallel profile barrel.

Mik at Dolphin was called upon to re-profile to a lighter but suitable diameter shape (1.150" at shank for 3" and tapering down to .850" if I recall correctly) to finish at 28"

While the barrel was away at Miks having a make over, I stripped out the action and prepped it for barrelling, cut the face true and did the same with lugs and lug abutments.

The barrel came back in a week (thank you Mik) abd I set it up in the lathe and was astonished to find almost zero runout in concentricty bettween outside diameter and bore line (at both ends)

I made the tenon, threads checking run out at each operation keeping to zero and then chambered in 284 Winchester.

The muzzle was also threaded for moderator (M18x1mm) and given protective cap

Once id lapped the throat a little I reassembled the barrelled action and sent it to proof.

A few weeks later it was back and I fitted the customer supplied two stage trigger which broke perfectly at a pound.

Customer collected it for them to assemble the barrelled action into a chassis (which I believe is a MDT ESS)

Initial Load development appears good - see five shot group below with Lapua SecnarL 180g and Norma Brass

Customer has fitted a self made cleverly extended bipod which obviously works!

A few pics:

IMG-1631.jpg

295674f3-100c-493e-88c9-79dc0105243a.jpg

2ed4508d-426a-436a-980f-cad94e82a433.jpg

Five shot group

dcd65514-fbd8-46bd-903e-849d3b8ef64b.jpg

7cea2278-d0fe-4dc0-8c7a-5127e0629cfc.jpg

45de1410-7fdb-434f-9bdb-0a61ce1eb4dd.jpg

Very pleased with the way the build turned out and I hope this very accurate rifle proves its worth in competition for its owner

Not my doing Ian, customer designed and made themselves - it clearly works well for them and affords very stable base 

11 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Love it ! 

Funny enough I have been having similar thoughts about my getting Mik to stick 30” in my .308 Tac A1 for FTR 

a few minor adjustments I rekon it could hold its own . 

If you decide to go down this route will you create a thread as I'd be interested 👍

I have to own up to this being my rifle. It's the second one I have asked Andy to make for me, and I thought the first one was good (7mm08). This one is just off the scale good. Andy's work is always so careful and precise, and he's a great guy too! I actually didn't expect to get the results I have had with it so quickly. This was the 2nd round of load testing, and I can basically put every shot through the same hole now at 100 yards.

For those interested in the unusual bi-pod extension, I got the idea from an American product called bipod-ext. It moves the pivot point further forward and makes it much more easy to stay on target. It really does make a difference. 

Anyway, completely delighted with my rifle Andy!!

Thanks very much - I had no idea you were a site member !

Always a pleasure to see such good results from my builds, the feedback very welcome and though I jest in saying the accuracy is “adequate” it’s something I say when it’s really good .

Ive yet to see a poor shooting T3 and like Dave has mentioned in another post showing his own work, it really has been a busy year for this model.

Wouldnt surprise me to see them actually rise in price as a donor action, they are very versatile. 

The combination of quality donor and high end barrel choice is a clear winner 

Being from a family of engineers and enjoying doing mechanical work myself, I like the design of the Tikka's. I can really only compare it to the Remington 700, and the tikka is a far better design in my opinion. The quality of the base factory build seems very high as well. Of course the tikka is a newer design, so it may not be a fair comparison, but my factory 223 shoots like a laser beam too. I am sure there are other great donor actions, but I'm sticking with what I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work - nice to see a custom build on a Tikka action and that looks immensely capable!

On 10/2/2019 at 7:10 PM, happyshooting said:

Being from a family of engineers and enjoying doing mechanical work myself, I like the design of the Tikka's. I can really only compare it to the Remington 700, and the tikka is a far better design in my opinion. The quality of the base factory build seems very high as well. Of course the tikka is a newer design, so it may not be a fair comparison, but my factory 223 shoots like a laser beam too. I am sure there are other great donor actions, but I'm sticking with what I know.

From my limited experience with CF rifles I tend to agree - the Tikka seems to tick a lot of boxes from the off; enclosed / stiff-looking action, long barrel tenon, continuous integral scope rails, nice recoil lug setup, competent trigger / safety and everything works very well out of the box.

I was reading this Chuck Hawks piece which bemoans the cheapening of modern firearms and the manufacturers' audacity in attempting to spin many of these cut-corners as positives; using the Tikka range as an example. While I totally agree with the general sentiment I think singling out Tikka is unfair and somewhat misses the point; IMO they've done an excellent job of creating a "poor man's Sako" without sacrificing anything that really matters. All the frilly bits have been binned but the guns remain solid, accurate, reliable... none of the functionality or ability of the important components have been compromised in the name of cost cutting. I'm a very picky sod and I couldn't be happier with mine.

I totally agree about the Remington 700; which seems inferior to the Tikka in pretty much every technical aspect. I think the only reason they continue to sell so many in the US is due to range of models available, price, buyer patriotism, nostalgia and range of aftermarket bits available; although the amount of T3-compatable gear seems to grow by the day..

You are 100% right Clover in those comments.

Beyond the efficient design, Tikka holds tolerances  such that barrels can be interchanged with a high likelihood that headspace will be correct. Try that with a Remmie..

• 2 weeks later...

T3 bashing is highly fashionable here. The vast majority is irrational and based on ignorance. I have only one T3 and a heap of other stuff including various Rems, a Sako , RPA, pre-64, ... so I can't be accused of ownership bias.

The fact remains that despite the very simple design and use of non-traditional materials and techniques, Tikka produces a rifle that is both accurate and functional. The thousands of dead deer here annually are testament to that.

2 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

T3 bashing is highly fashionable here. The vast majority is irrational and based on ignorance. I have only one T3 and a heap of other stuff including various Rems, a Sako , RPA, pre-64, ... so I can't be accused of ownership bias.

The fact remains that despite the very simple design and use of non-traditional materials and techniques, Tikka produces a rifle that is both accurate and functional. The thousands of dead deer here annually are testament to that.

and if one would analyse exactly one would possibly come to the conclusion that the T3 action is stiffest of the lot. Just put all Sako and older Tikka actions next to each other VS the T3 T3X. Has a slicker bolt than the lot too. T3 Clone actions soon to be had. I was shown prototypes 3/4 year ago.

edi

On 10/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, saddler said:

Tikka honed their trade making rifles which accounted for thousands of dead Soviets, as did their colleagues at SAKO

Among my Finnish Mosin rifles I have a very nice M27, from the folk at Woodpecker Rapids (Tikka Koski) - and I think I have at least one M91 model Mosin rifle from the Civil Guard Gun and Machining Works Ltd. (Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Oy, aka "SAKO")

When I look at my Finn made Mosins, with their hexagonal receivers, I can't help but see some of the design history that has been put into current offerings such as the T3

I have to admit to my wife being from Finland and have consequently visited many times. In fact my father in law was a artillery weapons system designer before he retired. The level of shop floor education and knowledge in manufacturing there is very high. Workers there tend to take great care with the products they make and the base level of training and qualification is extremely high. That coupled with the threat of Russia for 100+ years makes them experts at the design and manufacture of military products. Namely Vihtavouri, ace utra, lapua, tikka etc. Etc.

• 2 weeks later...