Guardian Long Range Competition Ireland

Ronin

The Guardian Long Range Competition Series is a charitable series of Precision Rifle Shooting Competitions arranged predominantly in the US to raise funds to help forester children and orphans

https://www.guardianlongrange.com

This weekend at the Midlands National Shooting Centre - Ireland staged one of the competitions.

I was unable to attend due to work commitments but I know a few friends who went to support the event and also participate.

The event was attended very well with competitors from many nations taking part, including Republic of Ireland, USA, UK, Sweden and Canada

From what I can ascertain Marcus Olsson (SWE) won the comp with 86 points, beating Scot Satterlee (USA) by two points and another USA shooter Michael Carnell third.

Highest placed UK shooter was Tiff Dew (PRL director)  with 70 points (13th place) - WELL Done!

90 entrants took part

A few images have been sent to me, which are shared below:

5e97f2c9-54ff-4ba0-a965-6af544b9f65b.jpg

21dd156e-c0a3-4c0c-a93f-fc3432de917d.jpg

ab46351b-b40a-41ee-88c8-534dfcf2d154.jpg

5fbba654-5683-47ea-8202-5d0c22420572.jpg

1ad775ff-7d0a-42b9-a700-1fc1825074a8.jpg

5b23f78d-08cb-45c0-843e-b02abbf917b0.jpg

ceacb287-e5a9-424a-a113-0852e9378ddd.jpg

a4684dad-015b-42f7-b6e5-d1dd409de070.jpg

d1ab7bd1-d8b6-4221-82de-bed4ba79c928.jpg

0592d0df-474f-4dff-a52e-01edf48d9782.jpg

Cold Bore Shot won by Daniel Gibbons (IRL) - 240 mtrs (PSE stocked rifle)

e09d1e7f-af68-4589-9ead-b04ca8a7a69b.jpg

Let’s wait to see if the event will

be held in the UK or Ireland first and plan from there 

Made it back late last night, I really enjoyed the Guardian although I did not compete. Made a few new friends and finally met the Mc Millan Father/ Daughter, Gary Larson from the Guardian, Tiff and many more. Had two days hunting with Hakan Spuhr and his Partner prior to the match. Both took part in the match.

On the second day US/ Latvia and I think Canadian shooters paired up with Euro shooters to form two man teams. Shooters needed to shoot the partners rifle in some stages. Loved the look on one US guys face when he was handed a Blaser hunting rifle...   There was some very very nice gear on the line.  Was quite astonishing to see a Tikka CTR with factory ammo hitting clays at 1200yds using a 3-12 PMII.

edi

It was a terrific match with good banter and incredible hospitality from the Irish lads. Really enjoyed the weekend and I picked up a Certificate to shoot a Guardian Match in the US next year ! 

Was also fortunate enough to get one of these 😀

66AA5029-D4EE-4518-99CA-B100D64A6377.jpeg

Ah, the social media links to the winners page and barrel maker must be incorrect

Have now deleted incorrect link 

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

Ah, the social media links to the winners page and barrel maker must be incorrect 

Have now deleted link

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

The winner used a 6mm Creedmoor. Unfortunately, Marcus didn’t win the match but he shot fabulously well and is a credit to the sport. 

I posted about this Comp a few weeks ago with very few responses and from that believed there would be few attending if any from the forum

Having been sent the results and some images I posted it on the site for everyone’s interest 

The “closed shop” attitude of the above posts do nothing to assist bringing new people into the sport 

Stop talking nonsense - new shooters know they are welcome and the actual winner of the match was in the U.K. last weekend training new shooters with someone you’ve just had the audacity of accusing doesn’t support new shooters and has done more to bring in new shooters than anyone.

You posted something incorrect about the match and a link to a sponsor that didn’t sponsor the match. Support the match, support the cause and support the sponsors who supported both !

Perhaps you are misreading the post

The closed shop attitude referred to the post with reference to the suggestion the thread should not have been started as I did not attend

Clearly that was obvious in the first few lines of the opening post

The winner  was training new people at an event run by the PRL

Where was this advertised or was it by invitation, thereby not really getting new people involved ?

As far as I recall and I have shot at PRL matches so should be on the mailing list,  I had no notification of this event, whilst I am only one person - was or is this advertised on the PRL / Round House training email list - I didn’t receive one (guess it must be in the post)

New shooters are not “telepathic” they don’t just “know” Precision Rifle Shooting exists and don’t just “know” where to go to enter the sport either it’s still a niche entity (small fish - big pond) 

There are many training providers and ranges who are well established where one can shoot steel plates and practice 

Likewise this event - Guardian Long Range Series is the only event held in the UK to provide funds for that specific charity and by posting on THIS web forum many hundreds if not thousands of our members will become aware of it and hopefully go on line and contribute if they can 

This thread is no place for those wishing to promote themselves as the sole purveyor of such events in the UK which is how it has come across with the attitude shown in the last couple of posts.

Hope we get a correct result sheet soon... at least I have not seen a sheet that is confirmed as correct. We had a result sheet on a fb page that was possibly from the first day. I know they mentioned some corrections on the Sunday morning but I was busy with other things at the time and missed most of it....

Thanks Ronin for throwing up the pictures, pity you couldn't make it.

Just hope that there will be another Guardian match in Europe in the future. Britainy Mc Millan and Gary Larson mentioned the amount of work to organise this last comp in Ireland was umpteen times more than local US matches. I did not shoot at the match but thought the match was a total success and all seemed to have fun. For sponsors it can mean showing products or being mentioned to markets that one normally does not frequent.

edi

My friend took about 600 pictures I took a few. I will try put up a few bit by bit.

Shooting clays from around 1200yds, recon the targets in front are 1200, clays in the bank a bit behind. Listening to one vid we took there were calls like.... "ten ft to the right"....

0ndSUCG.jpg

RJA4Hyb.jpg

edi

I’ll post a spreadsheet of the resulting a bit the first and second places will need swapping around 

Its heartening to see such a strong Military and Law enforcement presence in the competitor list 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Perhaps you are misreading the post

The closed shop attitude referred to the post with reference to the suggestion the thread should not have been started as I did not attend

Clearly that was obvious in the first few lines of the opening post

The winner  was training new people at an event run by the PRL

Where was this advertised or was it by invitation, thereby not really getting new people involved ?

As far as I recall and I have shot at PRL matches so should be on the mailing list,  I had no notification of this event, whilst I am only one person - was or is this advertised on the PRL / Round House training email list - I didn’t receive one (guess it must be in the post)

New shooters are not “telepathic” they don’t just “know” Precision Rifle Shooting exists and don’t just “know” where to go to enter the sport either it’s still a niche entity (small fish - big pond) 

There are many training providers and ranges who are well established where one can shoot steel plates and practice 

Likewise this event - Guardian Long Range Series is the only event held in the UK to provide funds for that specific charity and by posting on THIS web forum many hundreds if not thousands of our members will become aware of it and hopefully go on line and contribute if they can 

This thread is no place for those wishing to promote themselves as the sole purveyor of such events in the UK which is how it has come across with the attitude shown in the last couple of posts.

Ronin, your ability to post across this forum in a manner that makes your uninformed opinion sound like a fact is quite outstanding at times! 

The Scott Satterlee Clinic was a Roundhouse / PRS Ireland collaboration and the notification of the event collectively had over 40,000 views on Facebook alone. 

You have not shot at PRL 'matches' - you only shot the second round in late May.  A challenge that was barely PRL and certainly not within the rules, so subsequently dropped as a venue. 

Finally, The Republic of Ireland most definitely is not in the UK! 

Anyway, I've had enough of this. It was a fantastic match to be a part of. The Guardian crew are amazing and the shooters from multiple nations were so welcoming. 

I look forward to the Guardian heading international again in 2021 and will attend wherever they go. 

While this forum was useful back in the day, I'm calling it quits on here now.  I wish everyone the best possible success with their shooting and catch up on a range soon. 

The thread is about the Guardian Long Range Competition in aid of charity and I apologise with regards my error in geography - pre brexit made me think we were one nation with no borders 

It really is a shame it has degenerated - hopefully back on track now 

Something that I observed when watching the guys shoot fast on the line,   The T3 actions seemed to be quicker and slicker than others including custom action. You really noticed this when the teams swopped the rifles.... guys who got the T3 actioned rifles shot well and quick but the guys who are used to T3 actions struggled with what they got. In one case I even had to go back to get some lube/oil for a US custom action as the shooter who normally shot a T3 just couldn't get on with it. I am glad I built my future rig on a T3.

MRJ, I'll go through pictures and get some more up.

edi