30/30 Winchester 165gn lead bullets

pengo

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for acquiring load data for a 165gn lead bullet in my Marlin 30/30 underlever, please?

I have checked in the Lyman cast bullet handbook, but there is only data for 169gn & 170gn.

I'll be using Alliant Unique powder and want to get things as good as I can before load development.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul,

In general, just go with the data for 169-170 bullets suitable for the type of bullet you have.

The main variables are what the bullet is made of (its alloy and hence hardness), if its lubed or powder-coated, and if it's gas-checked.

If it's plain based, lubed and not too hard, keep to the low side of the charge weights.

If it's as above and gas-checked, you can go higher.

The highest you can go, which will be near jacketed bullets load speed, would be with hard-cast, high-speed lube and gas-checked bullets.

Do a load level ladder test to see what suits the bullets and gun combination you have. And as always, err on the side of caution.

If you need more load data for 169-170 gr lead bullets, I think I have plenty.

Neil

12 hours ago, BlueBoy69 said:

Paul,

In general, just go with the data for 169-170 bullets suitable for the type of bullet you have.

The main variables are what the bullet is made of (its alloy and hence hardness), if its lubed or powder-coated, and if it's gas-checked.

If it's plain based, lubed and not too hard, keep to the low side of the charge weights.

If it's as above and gas-checked, you can go higher.

The highest you can go, which will be near jacketed bullets load speed, would be with hard-cast, high-speed lube and gas-checked bullets.

Do a load level ladder test to see what suits the bullets and gun combination you have. And as always, err on the side of caution.

If you need more load data for 169-170 gr lead bullets, I think I have plenty.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for your detailed information, it's much appreciated.

I think I'll bear in mind what you have said and work uploads starting at 8.3 up to 10.1 in 0.3 increments and keep checking for pressure signs.

I'm not sure how hard the bullet is, but it is RNFP, lubed and gas checked. I have bought these from the Shellhouse Bullet Company and not cast them myself.

Hopefully things should be good.

Many thanks

Paul

No problem Paul,

Shell House Bullets are normally pretty good. I've used their plain (well bevel) base bullets in my 38-55 Marlin Cowboy for years and have also used the same type of bullets in 25-20 and 32-20 Marlin rifles.

If the bullets you have are gas-checked and from the aforementioned company, they are likely hard cast, so around 22 BHN (Brinell Hardness Number). So will probably be fine for full power cast bullet loads and certainly fine with lower loads.

Going by data I have, hard-cast air-cooled plain base bullets should be OK up too about 22 kPSI (11 TSI, 152 MPa, 1,520 bar). The same, but water-quenched, 26 kPSI (13 TSI, 179 MPa, 1,790 bar). For gas-checked hard-cast bullets, the respective figures are 31(15.5 TSI, 214 MPa, 2,140 bar) and 42 kPSI (21 TSI, 290 MPa, 2,900 bar).

It's not exact, but if you can't scratch them with a nail, they are pretty hard. Technically, if they were 22 BHN, you could use them to scratch pure aluminium, though you're not likely to find that just lying around! Shellhouse used to list what the hardness level of their bullets was, but they don't seem to now for some reason? You could always email them I suppose?

Neil