Cleaning rods

Dustyman

3 minutes ago, ds1 said:

For bag carry I use a clean bore snake for the odd emergency removal of mud or sand. Proper cleaning gets done with a Tipton carbon rod and bore guide. 

Using a bore snake for the bag also negates carrying a bore guide too.

+1

M

Bore snakes are also pretty useless for clearing a plugged barrel. 

Kleenbore do a small collapsible cleaning kit with around 8" long sections. A word of warning - the sections are steel so care is needed. I carry their kit for emergency use and for that it's great.

I have this kit for field use.  It’s  stainless so care needed but  it’s surprisingly well  made and takes my pro shot jags and brushes. 

It’s out of stock with amazon but shouldn’t be difficult to find, part number 41130.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casey-Stainless-Steel-Universal-Cleaning/dp/B000WT63AK

D2399ECD-3447-4EA0-AA0A-4E6B16BD8E06.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding steel/stainless rods, I carry a multi section one to clear stuck cases.  I was concerned about steel on steel contact so I placed a close fitting 1"long section of heat shrink on the rod just shy of the threads. On the handle end I have a longer section of HS so no steel rod to crown contact.   Heated it and now no steel to steel contact.  I do check the heat shrink in case of grit etc on it but in the few times I've used it,(once on my own rifle and 3 or 4 times on other club members rifles I've never found any.

Only cost a few pence off of Fleabay.

Regards J.