Restrictions on MoD Ranges

There's "temporary" restrictions on any calibre above .308/7.62 on West Midlands & Wales MoD ranges.  I'd be interested to understand what brought that about.

https://nra.org.uk/temporary-restriction-mod-ranges-in-wales-and-west-midlands/

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DIO are not known to be reasonable in my experience.  What might this mean to those members of clubs reliant on MoD ranges with regard to justification for holding large calibre firearms?

I recall having a crazy discussion with DIO management over muzzle loading .44/.45 pistols being banned from Barrack Ranges as they were over range limits for calibre (never mind the fact you can shoot full power 9mm or even .762 rifle!!).

Hmmmmmm.....the police couldn't get a 50 cal ban via a frontal assault so collude to remove ranges and 'good reason' to own?

I'm not a believer in conspiracies but I do admit it does look dodgy.

Good job there's some non-MoD ranges approved for big stuff

Yes but how many of us are really going to be able to afford to travel many hundreds of miles and / or pay very high range fees to use them on any sort of regular basus?

12 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Let's not get paranoid, the restriction applies to all firearms in calibres greater than 7.62mm - so military and police users will not be able to use 9mm.

Not sure the ban applies to the military.  I can't see why they would "shoot themselves in the foot"

I suspect this could have something to do with the wider field firing ban currently imposed on MoD ranges. 

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Mil were doing an arc of fire assessment across all MoD ranges. 

Once they’ve sorted it and agreed conditions/rules for all ranges, the ban will be lifted. 

Whatever is happening, let’s just hope it’s over very soon as my .338NM is itching for some more range time. I was hoping to be out on Rogiet and Sennybridge J3a soon...but this has put the kibosh on it for now 😭

I agree that 600yds paper punching with a .338 is a bit of a waste of ammo.  Living in the North (just) has it's advantages it seems!  Eskdalemuir and back for a full day's shooting is manageable.

Rogiet is helpful for some load dev. Shortest range I have. As Sennybridge F is a FF range (so out of commission) and now J3a is too, I’ll take what I can get. Regardless of range, a .338 is always guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Point is though, the Mil are just being a bit of a pain. All very unnecessary.  

59 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Point is though, the Mil are just being a bit of a pain. All very unnecessary.  

Does seem so; but without understanding why they've gone down this route it's difficult to know if it's unnecessary

I do hope there's a sensible reason and it's not just a bullshit exercise

A prime example of why I won’t waste my money on anything bigger than a .30 cal 

I hope this is not another twist of the knife for you boys with the larger cals. 

And I really do mean that sincerely, I may not have larger than a .308 for the range . But I do like to see the bigger stuff on my range days 👍👍

You need to get to Eskdalemuir and use the range there 

Out to 2 miles and no calibre restriction 

A bit hard on 7.92 Mauser shooters in historic arms rifles. Does it affect 303 too (it is a larger calibre even if only just than 7.62/308)? If so the MoD has banned the cartridge most of its ranges were built for and its own regular and reserve troops used for 70 years, the cadets a few more years longer.

Having dealt with them,  I'd be most surprised to learn the MoD actually understood that a .303 (.311) was actually a greater diameter bullet than a .308/7.62 !

7.92 Mauser bad;  30LM / 30Win Mag OK ??  Crazy.

35 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Having dealt with them,  I'd be most surprised to learn the MoD actually understood that a .303 (.311) was actually a greater diameter bullet than a .308/7.62 !

We'd better not tell them then. :)  A bit of the Nelson blind eye touch maybe.

Serious point though - it'll leave many 303 shooting MoD range users wondering if they can take their pieces of British and British Empire history to an MoD range. When people make 'technical' regulations, sometimes common sense is allowed to be applied to their interpretation, but that can't be taken for granted.

Don't tell 'um your name Pike!

If I was RCOing at a military range I'd want to apply the Nelson touch to .303 and 7.92 Mauser but I suspect the consequences of getting 'caught out' by an audit might be too damaging to the club in the long run.  If this turns into a permanent restriction I'd expect the NRA will champion the historic rifles.