Lothar Walther barrels

Re-Pete

I thought I'd share a couple of photos taken with a camera lashed to a Hawkeye borescope....................the rifle is my old Musgrave 6BR which I bought as a barrelled action around 7 years ago,  with no idea how many rounds had been through it (barrel was new in 2007, on a different rifle).................I've done at least 2500 since.

It's a 30"  Lothar Walther 8 twist, and as far as I can tell, it's just a standard barrel, not lapped.

Using RS52 and 105 grain Scenars, it will still shoot 1 MOA at 600yds if I get the wind right.

Top photo is start of the lands, next is 100mm in from the throat, and last is 100mm inside the muzzle.

Pete

Start of lands.jpg

100mm inside throat.jpg

100mm inside muzzle.jpg

Read the words again..........😊 the last line.............I don't know why the title of each photo didn't appear. Maybe it needs to be added as text in the photo itself.

Pete

Wind reading looks OK to me, I would guess not enough on the first, over corrected for the second then kept them in the centre after that....

If first two had been sighters you would have cleaned it.

Load might need some work though, or else maybe this is a sign of the barrel going but you have dropped some V's to elevation.

Ewen

Barrel looks typical of something that’s done that many rounds and retains accuracy

As I’ve said for years - nothing wrong with LW barrels providing you have the right tooling to cut them 

As we understand it, LW's best barrels are made from Boehler's version of a PH17/4 precipitation hardening stainless steel. Contrary to mythology, such steels are not difficult to machine if you know how to do it and use the correct tools with the correct feed rates. Think of it as the machining equivalent of knowing not to put diesel in a petrol engine and stomping on the 'go' pedal. The steel itself is particularly strong, tough and corrosion resistant, all desirable qualities in a tube whose surface will be subjected to 50,000 psi, a supersonic flamefront in excess of 2,400 C  and metal to metal abrasion. Finally, button rifling leaves the surface layer of steel in a state of compression with fewer exposed grain boundaries than cut rifling.

What Meles said, plus, of course, use of the correct cutting fluid..............and the button effectively work hardens the surface along the bore.

Viewed directly through the borescope, the chatter marks caused by the button can just be seen along the front half of the bore. (the camera can't quite focus that well).

Pete

Pete

The wife and I shoot 300 mt with 6mmBR Keppelers,  and we've had 5 Lothar Walther barrels between us, I still have one, (she now has a Bartlein).  I rate them highly, but we found they do go off a cliff when the barrel goes,  generally  between 2500 and 3000,  although the cracking has started on yours,  I'd say you have a good one there that's hanging on!  

Ours are also I in 8's, mine is a special that LW made especialy for the German 300 mt team, only 600 mm long, and I use a six inch tube for sight base. I'm on my 3rd, but as we shoot  60 shot matches and two in a week end  we probably shoot more than you F class guys.

Have fun and long may your LW go on!

Robin