REM 700 blueprint

On 8/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, One on top of two said:

This is sound advice 👍 always confirm what’s is going to be done , just lapping a bolt and truing an action is not in my opinion blueprinting . It’s a fair bit more involved than that . 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, lapua said:

There are blueprints, and there are blueprints. Steve Bowers did a 30-06ai for a friend including a sleeved bolt. It was better than any high end custom, 0.001” bolt/body clearance but it wasnt cheap. Some builders just true an action which is good but not in the same league. Best to confirm what is actually being done and to what tollerance.  

This i recon is probably your best bet for a full BP , steve did a R700 223Ackley , it was as true as true can be . Even sleeved the bolt which most dont do , but is it better to get a custom action insted ? Save the possible wait also ? Forgot to mention he also  turns/cuts the outside diameter of the action so it really is a full blue print . And surly turning sleeving the bolt helps the firing pin stay absolutely center of the cartridge - if you want perfection this is it .

Edited by gunner
Info

i believe Steve has stopped work on rifles ?

there is a point where you are simply polishing the turd, and rolling it in glitter.

As I outlined, and proved earlier, a sleeved bolt makes absolutely no difference to how the gun will shoot. It just feels a bit better.

A bolt with 0.001" clearance will also cause you problems in anywhere but a clean dry range environment.

well all i can say is i love my remmy,s, i dont want a 1 hole 10 shot group at 2000 yds, ive never had a bad one and i hit and kill what im shootingat, but if you wanna spend a bit of your cash on  your remmy do it, its money well spent, but a friend of mine had a nice remmy in 223 rem, and it shot i/2 at 100yds straight out of the box, he got it blueprinted a jewel trigger, had the h.s stock bedded, paid  a few bob on it, guess what it shot? 1/2 group, i think most factory  rifles could do with a bit fettling,  but thats why they call them  a factory rifle, remington. ruger. winchester. tikka.  sako. brno cz. howa. so its up to you what road you go down. cheers dave.

46 minutes ago, dave thorniley said:

well all i can say is i love my remmy,s, i dont want a 1 hole 10 shot group at 2000 yds, ive never had a bad one and i hit and kill what im shootingat, but if you wanna spend a bit of your cash on  your remmy do it, its money well spent, but a friend of mine had a nice remmy in 223 rem, and it shot i/2 at 100yds straight out of the box, he got it blueprinted a jewel trigger, had the h.s stock bedded, paid  a few bob on it, guess what it shot? 1/2 group, i think most factory  rifles could do with a bit fettling,  but thats why they call them  a factory rifle, remington. ruger. winchester. tikka.  sako. brno cz. howa. so its up to you what road you go down. cheers dave.

In general I agree Dave but I'm not sure I'd lump all of those rifles you mention under a "factory rifle" group and imply they're all similar.  All cars are 'factory cars' (almost) but we can't seriously compare a Ford to a Bentley.

well a ford fiesta will go up the motorway, just the same as a bentley, my remmy will shoot a deer at 100 yds,  same as any custom made rifle, would i like a rifle made by dave wilde, ronin, steve kershaw, neil mcillop, to bloody right i would dave t