Neck expanders - for seating tension?

terryh

As per title, does anyone in the UK keep expander mandrels for neck tension as opposed to neck turning?

Specifically for 6mm, .002” as a start.

This is on the shelf, not special order BTW, special order I can sort.

Cheers

T

The only place I’ve found to have Sinclair expander mandrels for expanding, not the oversized mandrels used for neck turning, has been Brownells UK...though they order them from the US I believe. 

I think 21st Century Reloading also offer expander mandrels but think they’re setup to worth with their own expander die body. Spud may have these in his inventory. Or just Google it. You can of course order from them direct.

Both the Sinclair and 21st Century expander mandrels are designer to provide around .002” neck tension. 

Hi Terry. 

I've just changed to custom expander mandrels. 

With my bushing dies I've opted to use a smaller bushing so the custom expander mandrel has to work a little more so I get more consistant neck tension.

I use the K&M mandrel holder and custom expander with  1.5 thousandths neck tension.they seat as smòoth as silk and I've no inconsistencies in neck tension from small variations from neck turning where the cutter and pilot got hot.

I was a bit unsure if the K&M mandrel holder and custom expander mandrel would cause runout. To be honest I've not got the kit to check it but I have tried some loads and had some superb results,one of the lots of ammo I tested after using the custom ground mandrels I posted a photo of a 5 shot group I shot using this system thats on the creedmoor pierced primer thread.

Spud will order what you need,there on his website if you want to you can place the order on line.

Look up the K&M kit and you'll find it.

There are alternative custom mandrels and holders, one do one with a rubber bushing thing so the mandrel free float so it so say self centres, I just left a bit of slack in my K&M set up so it will self centre as it has no rubber free floating thingy.

Hope this helps

Atb No I deer 

Catch 

cheers for info 

NoD familiar with K&M

I have a K&M expander set up in 6.5 & 30 cal to give 2 & 3 thou of tension respectively. You can order custom mandrels in 1/2 thousand increments which I will end up doing if there is nothing off the shelf here.

Terry

The custom 1.5 thousandths neck tension mandrels work like a dream. I ordered my 6.5 cal at 2 thousanths neck tension as it's for a repeater with an ÀI mag. I single feed my f open rifle though it is a repeater.

I chased my 6.5 cal custom ground expander mandrel i ordered with spud and he is expecting a  K&M delivery this week. It's about a 6 week turnaround as they are made to order

Reloading Solutions sell the Sinclair expander and turning mandrels. They are not custom but expanders are -1.5 thou from nominal and turners -2.5 thou . In both stainless and carbide. I’ve cleaned my stainless 6.5 and 7 mm expanders to -2 thou with fine wet n dry and oil in a drill press.

NoD,

2 thou 6mm K&M’s and associated gauge pin are currently off the shelf in US, I do though prefer to use a UK supplier if at all possible. I’ll ask Spud what he’s got coming in?

Pat,

Cheers for pointers but I’d prefer to buy something that works from the get go, do not want to fettle it myself if at all possible.

T

Pat,

I run 2 thou on my 6.5x47 and 3 thou on my 300NM, not too sure if ‘how much’ is actually the point of the exercise, more a constant ‘x’ thou on every case? think 2 thou is a standard starting point?

My next (no pun) project is a 6mm and I might try varying the tension - but my gut says there are other more important or effective areas to look at re. Reloading technique and effects on accuracy?

T

21 minutes ago, terryh said:

Pat,

I run 2 thou on my 6.5x47 and 3 thou on my 300NM, not too sure if ‘how much’ is actually the point of the exercise, more a constant ‘x’ thou on every case? think 2 thou is a standard starting point?

My next (no pun) project is a 6mm and I might try varying the tension - but my gut says there are other more important or effective areas to look at re. Reloading technique and effects on accuracy?

T

I think as long as it’s consistent then it’s all good . I tend to re size necks 4 thou below after firing then anneal , clean resize body then use mandrel to open necks . Works for me but make sure cases are clean inside . Run my loaded rounds over concentricity gauge and none are more than 2 thou  out so whatever your happy with ! 😊

Pat,

I anneal, full length size with neck bushing, then expand, chamfer in/out then wash, dry and tumble, then clean primer pockets/ check flash holes etc. But each to their own process - bit like religion and politics (and ‘how do thou clean you rifles?’) 😀

Would like to go for carbide on the expander as a better option.

T