Case Lube

Engiebenjie

Hi Chaps,

This is my first post, so i guess i should start by saying hello!

Apologies if this has been asked before but, can anyone recomend a decent case lube/wax and why they like it?

I have used the LEE lube and it does the job (as I find all lubes do!) but it leaves a hard drying residue on the die!

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Lee for inside the neck (if you're using a button die....it doesn't affect the powder), and Imperial wax for the outside.

Pete

I use Lee for all my full length sizing, used it for years because it works for me.

I just wipe the inside of the die with some cloth after a session. Just get the cloth in and twizzle the die around, works for me. Once or twice after a big reload session I have to take the die apart and clean but maybe only half a dozen times in several years. 

I use Lee for 303, 308 and 7.5 Swiss

Quite a few options.

Imperial sizing wax (now under the Redding banner) in my experience has always been good for serious case forming.

Warner tools, who make probably the best sizing die out there, recommend the engine oil treatment STP as a lube.

I now make my own 'every day' sizing lube out of Lanolin and lab grade Isopropyl alcohol, from memory about 8:1. Works a treat and  for about £10-12 enough for you an a few buddies for a couple of years!

The  'one shot' stuff in a pumper is good - but only the above mix in a smaller expensive bottle & uses Hexane as opposed to alchohol.

Terry

Hi EB,

Depends on the usage for me.

+1 on Imperial Sizing Wax when expanding the insides of the necks for neck turning. 

+1 on RCBS Case lube which I always used to use for full length sizing, easy to wash off.

I currently use a DIY solution of Lanolin and Isoppropol Alcohol in a 10:1 ratio (Lanolin being the lower number) which I think is probably the smoothest lube I've used to date. (lots of vids on youtube and an article on the 65 guys  https://www.65guys.com/brass-case-resizing-lube/)  I now only FL body size cases and Lee collet die for necks.

If I didn't have Lanolin and was to pick a single lube off the shelf I would go for RCBS Case Lube 2 using a lube pad (rolling cases in batches of 5 or 10 for even coverage) and a brush for inside the necks if using an expander. 

HTH

G

* Meant to add that if you want to go down the Lanolin route it's quite straight forward. You can order lanolin and alcohol online. I personally mix the appropriate ratio in a smaller "pump" bottle which is able to mist the spray on to your cases.  All you then need to do is place your rounds on something like a baking tray and spray them, roll them and spray again until they all have a fine covering. I then give them a quick once over with the wifes hair drier to evaporate the alcohol and your good to go. I did start laying the brass on paper towels but it absorbs the lanolin of course (what a donut) so suggest you just let them roll. You can also use a dedicated plastic container for the brass and lett them roll about inside. Just experiment and see what works for you. 👍

ATB

G  ☺️

I use the Lanolin/Isopropanol mix, it’s the same as Dillon case lube, as well as some others are and hard to beat, just spray into a cardboard box and shake around then leave to evaporate for 10 mins

Its cheap, makes loads and lasts ages

all available from Amazon

8 minutes ago, Xtrema said:

One small tin of Imperial Sizing Wax lasts for a hell of a long time.

True. So does a tube of the Lee stuff and only a couple of quid.

I guess we each have our own system, I kind of stick with what I know. I will admit to using the Imperial powder stuff for neck sizing though which works a treat.

Imperial wax and mica for the case neck.  Never had a problem.  RCBS stuff is ok too but I wouldn't bother with it now I've found better stuff.

The cost benefit of DIY isn't attractive however I do like a good DIY solution!

13 hours ago, Xtrema said:

One small tin of Imperial Sizing Wax lasts for a hell of a long time.

You’re 100% correct on that. I’m still using the tin I bought at tge shooting show when it was at Newark. How long ago was that?

Thanks for all the replies chaps plenty of options there!

I've not seen the lanolin "homebrew" method before but I think I might give that a go.

I presume this wont leave too much residue on the inside of the die either?

4 hours ago, Engiebenjie said:

Thanks for all the replies chaps plenty of options there!

I've not seen the lanolin "homebrew" method before but I think I might give that a go.

I presume this wont leave too much residue on the inside of the die either?

It's no more dirty than any other method, just keep your trays etc clean and free from dirt and grit and you shouldn't have any probs and as Pops sais it doesn't hurt to clean your dies either.

First thing you might notice when you go to use it is how thin it is and you could then worry about getting a case stuck (or at least I did!).

For the first case into the die I just used a little raw lanolin on my finger and gave the case a thin even covering so that I knew the die would be suitably lubricated. I also use it on the mandrel of my Lyman trimmer when I TTL my cases.

I honestly think it's the best lube I've used to date and only use it for its quality not it's cost saving (which is also nice). If you watch the 2nd  vid in the link from my earlier post the 6.5 guys state at about 7.15 minutes it's possibly the most consistent they have used.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

G

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Have now used the lanolin method and have to say im converted! better than any wax or lube I have ever used!

Thanks for the help chaps :)