Big problem with new rifle

Miseryguts

OK starting to see the light

Rifle and bolt have both got the relevant proof marks

As per advice above, large dollop of gun grease (well  I think it is, I have had it 20 years and the writing has rubbed off) on the lugs, extractor pins and the extractor claw and it is stating to load a lot easier - but nothing like my TX3.

I think that the problem is a) very strong extractor springs, b) a slightly off extractor claw, and c) you have to have exactly the right technique

The extractor pins are still scratching the case as the bolt rotates into the closed position.

Any one recommend a good grease?

M ( a little happier, but still not satisfied in still wet S Wales)

22 minutes ago, Miseryguts said:

OK starting to see the light

Rifle and bolt have both got the relevant proof marks

As per advice above, large dollop of gun grease (well  I think it is, I have had it 20 years and the writing has rubbed off) on the lugs, extractor pins and the extractor claw and it is stating to load a lot easier - but nothing like my TX3.

I think that the problem is a) very strong extractor springs, b) a slightly off extractor claw, and c) you have to have exactly the right technique

The extractor pins are still scratching the case as the bolt rotates into the closed position.

Any one recommend a good grease?

M ( a little happier, but still not satisfied in still wet S Wales)

They are ejector, not extractor pins, sorry to be pedantic but it will help to explain the situation a bit better

3 minutes ago, ejg223 said:

Does the rifle chamber a factory loaded cartridge in the meantime?

I don't think proof marks actually mean anything on these rifles. I have strong doubts that all rifles are actually fired at proof in Isny.

edi

Will it not have to have been proofed when imported here?

45 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

Will it not have to have been proofed when imported here?

The rumour is that they all have proof marks but only a few are actually put through the proof process. The rest are statistics.... Just look at some of their rifles, seems as if they were designed by the car industry... maybe VW engineers? Proof is like Euro Emissions standards...<_<

edi

So are you saying this "rumour" implies that British proof marks don't necessarily mean that the gun has been proofed, ie tested, in the UK to the appropriate spec, and that the proof house just bang the marks on because it's a European manufactured gun and "they will have already done it" ?

I find that VERY hard to believe............

Pete

Pete, nothing to do with British proof marks. Once a rifle has been "proofed" within the CIP zone then it is accepted, no need to re- proof. Blamausau rifles are proofed in-house in Isny Germany. They might carry UK proof marks if for example a barrel gets threaded and therefore sent to proof.

edi 

43 minutes ago, ejg223 said:

Pete, nothing to do with British proof marks. Once a rifle has been "proofed" within the CIP zone then it is accepted, no need to re- proof. Blamausau rifles are proofed in-house in Isny Germany. They might carry UK proof marks if for example a barrel gets threaded and therefore sent to proof.

edi 

Blamausau rifles ?

3 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

So are you saying this "rumour" implies that British proof marks don't necessarily mean that the gun has been proofed, ie tested, in the UK to the appropriate spec, and that the proof house just bang the marks on because it's a European manufactured gun and "they will have already done it" ?

I find that VERY hard to believe............

Pete

It is,

Go to the proof House and see for yourself. In many ways they are a bit over-stringent and that may not be such a terrible thing for the customer, but can be a pain for people like me

Headspace can be the main issue, but you know that when it’s passed, it’s passed

5 minutes ago, 264wm said:

MG,

do the  extractor  plungers fully depress? The  images look as if the  plungers are binding on the head.

Hi, the extractor plungers do full depress when manually activated, but as I said before, the springs are pretty strong.

As you say, the marks on the cases are caused by said plungers. Having lubricated the bolt, things are getting better, so I am happy (if that is the word!)  that the problem has been caused by binding of the extractor plungers and extractor claw. I have now been able to check head space and all that seems ok. So now off to range to let some rounds off

Thanks again to all who have taken the trouble to make suggestions

M (slightly less miserable in wet S Wales)