Dried food meals

andybrock

What’s a good quality freeze dried food for hiking, or to take on a nights shooting, the kind you just add boiling water to?

I tried a couple of meals from Go Outdoors and they were pretty awful really!  I’m not expecting top quality cuisine just something tasty that can be quickly cooked.

Thanks 

I’ve used their chilli con carne boil in the bag ration pack things and have enjoyed them. Use an Uncle Bens boil in the bag rice packet and you’ve got a pretty decent meal in just a few minutes 

I wouldn’t advise using the water to make tea after boiling the rice though..... unless you like funny tasting tea! Much better to open a can of a Fosters!

Andy,

I've found the Bla Band make of dried back packing meals to be very tasty - think they are a spin off from Swedish military?

After suffering bloody slightly crushed sandwiches on the range at lunchtime (typically at Orion etc.) I decided I was too old to rough it - don't do the hero bit anymore 😁 so tried a few from local hiking shops, the Bla Band were noticeably better.

Nice selection (and puddings if you are really going to town)

T

• 3 weeks later...

Cheaper option probably taste better either 

a. Cuppa soups or I hear  those mugshots pasta packs are ok 

b. If you have a vacuum packer keep left over from home meal , like mince & tatties or stew etc and vackpak as long as bags are 

“ sousvide” compatible then just pan of water on camp stove and reheat .... one of those long camping forks / sporks away you go 

country food trust does pheasant casserole & patridge curry but need rice etc ... both in bags that can keep for a year in back of truck etc ... their ok ... not much “meat” in them due to making process I’m told .

bit they contribute to homeless. Shelters etc to one for one for every one you buy ..... I had them in my truck when working in the desert in Middle East  and just boiled up bit of rice to go with it 

paul

Saucer - have you actually tired Mugshots!!

Was stuck in Baku and ‘had’ to eat one (only thing to hand in apartment at time) - God’s teeth, powdery pap. 🤮

Sorry, each to their own, as I said, my aim was to have a nice lunch. 😎

T

Just picked up some of the Real Turmat’s in a Stavanger outdoors/hunting shop to try, will post results, not such bad prices in the end 👌

Price of rifles vs UK is horrendous, but then again Norway’s not known for being cheap 😱