New Project

Miseryguts

Hi, starting a new project  - decided to have a go at the longer range stuff (have shot my 223 up to 300 yards for a few years ) and take delivery of a new rifle in 308 Win tomorrow. Any recommendations for a good starting point for bullet weight for 600 to 800 yard stuff? Have only got H335 powder in stock at the moment, but will be sourcing something more suitable soon(N140, N150? or N540, N550?).

Rifle is Sauer 100 Field shoot with 24 inch barrel. got a die set, brass, and some 150gn FMJBT  on the way, so looking forward to having a play shortly!

Any pointers, recommendations etc welcomed

M grinning in sunny South Wales

I used to shoot 155g Sierra Matchkings in my old 308, over N140 powder. Pretty good to 600 yards.

I’m sure others who shoot competitively or who take their shooting more seriously than I do will offer further options, but the above worked great for me at that range for general plinky plonking.

155 g scenar with 44.5 (work up to this) N140 was the go to load seated at 2.850” (oal) in all the 308 Rifles I’ve owned 

Previous 308’s I’ve used ran well with N140 with the lighter bullets you are looking at.

A good bullet in 155g at the Australian HPC items if you are looking? SMK’s or Lapua are normally reliable.

T

On 8/1/2019 at 7:13 AM, Ronin said:

155 g scenar with 44.5 (work up to this) N140 was the go to load seated at 2.850” (oal) in all the 308 Rifles I’ve owned 

Hi Ronin and DaveT,

Out of curiosity do you recall what length your barrels were? (if you can remember)  

Just looking to see if there is a correlation with Optimal Barrel Time theory for this load.

All the best  👍

G  ☺️

44.5 g Varget or N140 under 155 g scenar works in many 308’s I know of and have shot 

it’s one of the “go to” loads for that cartridge 

Thanks Ronin, much appreciated.

Do you know what velocites you got with that load?

I've developed a pet load for 175gr SMK's to date, however, I think the 175s are only good out to 800 yards and I believe that 155 gr scenars perform ok further out to 1000 from what a few people have reported hence the question on velocity.

I will start working up a load (safely) with N140.

Thanks again.

G