"Times" pro-Deer hunting

An interesting "Thunderer" in today's "Times" calling for more hunting of deer - now there's a change.

The nub of it is way too many deer causing all manner of issues including a rise in Lyme disease,  Venison being an excellent and carbon neutral red meat, and  cursing Disney for Bambi.  Worth a read.

Very well written and balanced prose

Disney has much to answer for “humanising” animals

It was a somewhat surprising article from Lucas, he's normally reporting on economic, business, politics etc.

Load of broccoli.

Deer = ticks. No Deer = No Ticks.  Loads of tick in my local park and no deer. Oh dear (!) there goes that theory.

As for the supermarkets selling our wild venison. Dream on. They don't know where they have been so will only sell deer from farms so forget organic and think about sedated antler removal, cattle cobs (god knows what's in them). Thats why there is a growth in deer farming. No way I am eating that that which promotes growth and vigour.

44 minutes ago, Chanonry said:

Load of broccoli.

Deer = ticks. No Deer = No Ticks.  Loads of tick in my local park and no deer. Oh dear (!) there goes that theory.

As for the supermarkets selling our wild venison. Dream on. They don't know where they have been so will only sell deer from farms so forget organic and think about sedated antler removal, cattle cobs (god knows what's in them). Thats why there is a growth in deer farming. No way I am eating that that which promotes growth and vigour.

He doesn't say that eliminating deer eliminates Lyme disease.  I think there's some logic in controlling deer numbers resulting in a reduction of Lyme.  Also isn't his argument suggesting a reconsideration of the rules around deer culling?  I do agree with you that it's a huge challenge to see wild venison safely made available to the buying public.