Favour re QL - 6.5x47?

terryh

Could someone run the numbers on 6.5x47 with N140 please?

My measured fired case capacity is 3.12g vs the published 3.11g

Buller is the Berger 130g AR OTM Hybrid seated 2.620 LOA

Thanks in advance

Terry

Here goes.

Barrel length 26".

image.png

I can't remove the accidental double image post, or update to a single more suitable one, even though I've deleted them both and then saved?

image.png

Terry

N140 has been brilliant for me with 120g and 123g bullets in several rifles, always consistently good and easy to tune.

But I’ve found N140 to be just a tad fast for 130g+ bullets. Velocities will be a bit on the low side whilst pressure rapidly builds. 

Personally I’d try something slightly slower to maximise the velocity gain whilst keeping pressures lower. I liked RS62 (Accurate loads and low pressure signs) and I’ve head good things about others using N150.

Just my humble experiences & observations of course. 

C-22,

cheers for input. I did try (briefly) RS60 & 62, did not get a good feeling, but it’s was in passing tests.

I’ll give the 140 a go and see what the velocities are, not too worried about top speeds as most of my shooting is only out to 600 yards. If I clear 2700 comfortably I’ll be happy

T

I run n140 in my 6.5x47 with 130gr tmk and I'm getting good results. 

I tried n150 and to get the accuracy I was looking for I had to load them hot and it was trashing the brass hence I went for the n140

My max load was 37gr but found the best node at 36.1gr 

I have not had chance to chronograph them yet so I'm not too sure on the speeds. 

I have been running 6.5x47 for about 7 years now. Fantastic chambering. Just put a new 7 1/2 twist Bartlein on one of them to run the 150 SMK. The load is 39.5gr of RS62 which chronographs at 2575 fps. On Friday we were LR shooting at towards the end of the day I picked a 1124 meter target which was 8" square. First shot 1" right - wrong wind call, second and third shots smack on, and a very unlucky rabbit appeared about 10ft to the right of the target and I shot him too.

I spent 4 years shooting RL15 very hot. 63kpsi, 129 ABLR at 2910 fps. It took 140 thou out of the lands of a Pacnor barrel in under 1000 rounds. Was it pressure? Was it the double base powder? Was it the barrel steel? Life is too short to find out. The RS62 load is running 54k psi and the barrel is a Bartlein so hopefully problem solved. 

However, RS62 appears to be very temperature sensitive, about 3fps/degC. That's too much for my liking as I shoot all year round and I don't want a 100 fps velocity variation - the node is pretty tight at 2580 +/- 15 fps. I'm going to be trying RL16 which burns cooler than RL15/RL17 (3800 vs 3990) and is very temperature insensitive. Looks about perfect for the chambering. It will work for the 129 ABLR hunting rounds as well but to hit the velocity node on the 123 Scenars I will need to load to 105% which is too compressed for my liking - I can never get decent concentricity with compressed loads.

No idea about N140, so I doubt much of that helps much :)

Nigel

Concur on this cartridge, I’m on my 4th barrel, the rifle was originally built by Terry Cross for me in 2007.

My original combination was 37.5g RL15 and 123g Scanars thru’ the 1st 3 barrels, simple load and shoot.

Just been trying the 130g Berger hybrids which were going well over N140 but the new batch of N140 was doing funny things - hence asking the QL analysis. Think i’m Running a bit too hot, on more accurately this new batch of powder .

Thanks

T

• 1 month later...