3 rifles.. How many scopes?

martin_b

So I have a .22lr that use for benchrest up to 100M   and I've put in for a variation to get a .223 for 200y to 600y ish  (maybe the odd comp) and a 6.5 Creedmore for 600y up to 1200y ( just for fun ATM)

Now my question is I have apx £1K to spend on Optics, how any scopes? Do i just get one  for say £800 and a set of qr mounts, with rails on each, or one much cheaper one for each rifle. or a combination.. IYSWIM.

If you have a .22LR already and shoot bench-rest, doesn't that mean you have a scope?  If so you can get two very reasonable scopes for £1k second hand with some dosh for mounts (Contessa are quite good - Alan Rhone).  If you go the one-scope way, QR mounts will inevitably mean checking zero every time you swap over.  If you have a zero-stop scope that will be wrong for one of the rifles.   If that's only occasionally swapped then it's not a big problem so one scope would suffice - but don't underestimate the ball-ache.

Or, save yourself some money and don't get a .223! The CM will do it all and not cost that much more per round.  You could then afford a really good scope 😃😃

I have a $50 ebay special, I got my rifle about a third of the way through the summer comp and after having used a club gun whose weigth of pull would tax an elephant i'm in no danger of winning.

I hear what you say about the 6.5, but im getting conflicting information.. I can get .233 rounds at 50p/bang  but im told 6.5CM are well north of £1..  now I live with in 40mins of Bisley so i can shoot every weekend, so the saving could soon mount up (Im also thinking of retiring soon so a lot more shooting days maybe soon)

If you reload I would think 6.5 CM would be about 25 - 30% more for equal quality components.  The biggest saving is in powder quantity (in the order of 24gn vs 41gn).

If you factor in two sets of dies etc there's not a huge amount in it - you could shoot 6.5CM, stick a good scope on it and save up for a .223 later if you find the need (I had one and was soon bored with it).

Unfortunately (😉) I fell for .338Lapua so I'm now broke in body and wallet...

2 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

If you go the one-scope way, QR mounts will inevitably mean checking zero every time you swap over.  If you have a zero-stop scope that will be wrong for one of the rifles.   If that's only occasionally swapped then it's not a big problem so one scope would suffice - but don't underestimate the ball-ache.

Personally, I’d have to disagree with this statement. Given my own experience using an extremely high quality QD mount (Era-Tac) over a number of years, I cannot fault them - nor detect any discernible shift in zero. 

I’ve used this system on multiple rifles now, more recently on the same rifle with multiple barrels. 

I remove the scope+mount every time the gun goes into the cabinet and into its storage case, and I’ve never encountered a problem - even when shooting a big .338NM. No shift and no need to constantly re-check zero before a range session.

Zero between barrels is easy. Simply zero for a given barrel and when using on a new barrel (or rifle) just note the difference between POI and dial accordingly. As long as you remember the right turret ‘zero’ settings for each given barrel (or rifle), and ensure you lock the mount in the same exact slot in the picatinny rail as before, there’s no issue!

Good video from Eric Cortina on the subject of tracking scope zero/settings between multiple barrels/rifles. I use the same principal and even have the differences between barrel / turret calibrations stored in my Kestrel to permit the correct adjustments without me needing to remember the turret calibrations. 😎

Interesting. What sort of price are the Era-Tac mounts?

Multi barrels I can fully agree, my personal experience of swapping a scope or even removing and refitting (carefully) still resulted in a small shift