Improved 284?

foxpro

Hi everyone,

I currently shoot a .284 Winchester with 180 grain SMKs. I’m coming towards the end of my barrel life and I am considering going to an Improved 284. I am aware many use the Shehane but I’ve heard a small number of people use the 284 KMR Improved and the Walker Improved. What barrel life should I be expecting out of an Improved 284? How does the load development work - in terms of fire forming etc. Where can you get dies from? I am looking to use either the 180 Berger Hybrids or the 184 Berger F Open 

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!

Ronin may be a good person to reply as he has a shehane, rgt has a shehane for sell in classifieds and has a set of newlon dies,if you pm him he would be a good source of info but may not sell the dies seperate....

My guess would be the barrel life between the 284 and the shehane would be very similar as the powder difference is only a couple of grains ish....

Using a cooler burning powder is the best way to prolong the barrels life 👍

An F Open friend of mine shoots a 284 KMR and has the reamer. He started on a straight 284, went to Shehane and then KMR. If you pm me your contact details I’ll forward them to him. I’m sure he’ll give you all the information you need.

As I'm sure you're aware barrel life is determined by powder choice and how you use the rifle. H 4831SC would be the powder of choice for all three 7's that you mention. My prediction on barrel life is based on having used two .284's five Shehanes and one KMR. 

.284, 2000-2300 rounds

Shehane,  1600-1800

KMR,  1500

The KMR  barrel life is really just a prediction as (I hope) I'm only half way through the barrel life. The real plus for the KMR is that you can equal or surpass Shehane speeds using N165, this should take the barrel life beyond 1500 easily. Neither the .284 or Shehane  have the case capacity to get the full benefits of N165.

I'd be interested in comments from both Shehane and KMR users as to what vels they're running, the powders they're using and also the best ESs they can achieve.  The reason I ask this is that two F-ers I know are having issues getting their ESs down to acceptable levels. They have no probs getting ME up to the NZ NRA limits but it seems that the pressures they're using as a bit low for optimal ESs.

I've just started load devl't on my straight .284 and 51.7 of AR 2209 (H4350) is only getting me 2733 in a 30" bbl. There are no pressure signs there so I'm going to go a bit higher, as well as try 2213SC ( H4831SC). Interestingly, all four shots over a 1.2gr load range went into 3/8" so I'm wondering is this rifle is going to exhibit positive compensation.

8 hours ago, bradders said:

It may or may not be relevant but I found this barrel life predictor on accurate shooter last night, can't verify how accurate it is, but for .223 it seems to be in the right area

It's a download BTW

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/barrellifeupdate.xls

That’s an interesting predictor. It was bang on my last 308 barrel.

Thanks for all your replies, does anyone know which gunsmiths have the reamer for either the KMR or the Walker? Also where do I get the dies, I know Whidden do custom dies. How much should I be expecting to pay for them?

• 2 months later...
On 23/7/2019 at 6:59, baldie said:

la vida de la garganta debería ser mejor en Shehane, debido al ángulo mejorado del hombro.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But in the Shehane does not change the shoulder but the walls, being these straight ..

The Shehane alters both the shoulder angle and straightens the wals of the case (I have both cases in front of me and used this extensively in competition)

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

The Shehane alters both the shoulder angle and straightens the wals of the case (I have both cases in front of me and used this extensively in competition)

And why did he do it? Well, I was lucky enough to shoot with Bill at the Hawksridge 1000 yd benchrest range way back in 2004 and I asked him.  The reason he took out the taper was simply to aid extraction when 'running the gun' - i.e getting five shots of in about 10 seconds.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:52 PM, Ronin said:

I also have both and they are 35 degrees, the reamer prints also show that, it's the KMR that changes it to 40, not sure about the other wildcats based on that case.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:37 AM, Elwood said:

As I'm sure you're aware barrel life is determined by powder choice and how you use the rifle. H 4831SC would be the powder of choice for all three 7's that you mention. My prediction on barrel life is based on having used two .284's five Shehanes and one KMR. 

.284, 2000-2300 rounds

Shehane,  1600-1800

KMR,  1500

The KMR  barrel life is really just a prediction as (I hope) I'm only half way through the barrel life. The real plus for the KMR is that you can equal or surpass Shehane speeds using N165, this should take the barrel life beyond 1500 easily. Neither the .284 or Shehane  have the case capacity to get the full benefits of N165.

I know this is an old... thread  it very little info on 284 KMR.

Any info you could provide as far as case  capacity ,case dimensions  ,barrel life (I'm sure you "know" by now lol) and performance would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Thanks !