.284/7mm bullet choice ??

Rob1562

Looking for advice/experience please.

I'm having a .284 built with a 26" barrel in 1:9 twist, on a Stiller Predator single shot action, so no issues with feeding/OAL.

I'd like to shoot a bullet in the 150-180grn range, but here's the issue...........I'd like to shoot longish range (up to 1000yds) on paper/steel but also use it for hunting, mainly UK deer and also a bit of foxing/varminting. 

My thoughts were initially with the Berger VLD family but now considering 160grn Sierra TMK.

Anyone got any experience or advice, or am I looking for a Holy Grail bullet that doesn't exist ??

Regards, Rob.   

Thanks Scotch Egg.......I had considered the ELD-X and they're readily available.

Have you used them for foxing ? Do they expand well enough ?

Regards, Rob. 

Depends what you get it throated for. 188 freebore does 180gr hybrids and accomadates the 162gr amaxs superbly,go too .220 and the 160gr bullets are bordering on being too short not seating much in the case neck.

If you had it throated for 180gr scenars l's only 180gr bullets would work ok coz of they need .260 ish freebore.

Best consult a gunsmith really but you will find this info is pretty accurate.

Atb No I deer 😉

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting very good results with the 154gr SST I was considering other options I just picked up a box to shoot in the barrel but I may just stick with them clover leafing or better at 100 meters! 

I've found the 150gr smk to be very good and the 162 eld x.

You can push the 150 quite fast, should still be easily super sonic at 1000.

This is ballistic app theory though, I haven't done it myself yet.

Accuracy wise, my Remington 700 Varmimt, nothing special, 1 / 9.5 twist I believe , shoots well with both above bullets.

I have used 160 TMK's in the 280ai with great success. Not shot deer with them but they are great on paper/gongs. For deer I use 168 ABLR which I find to have great terminal performance. On the targets the Berger 180's are the gold standard which will stabilise in a 9 twist. If you had an 8 twist the 197 SMK would be worth looking at, but you don't!