PRL questions

Adamdavi3s

All,

apologies if these are dumb questions but I want to make sure I have things clear in my mind as hopefully I’ll have a crack at this next year

Regarding the COF, do you need a rangefinder or are the ranges of each stage given? Or do you estimate from the ret?

I have a savage 12LRP (£1100) so will shoot in the factory class, it’s unmodified and I got some 10rnd mags imported from dark eagle custom (£150) as I assume they’re ok to use?

Can I have an adjustable butt plate fitted or will that then be classed as an open rifle?

I also use a neoprene (removable) stock cover used to raise the comb, I guess this is ok?

Finally I am looking at changing my glass as I’m using a sightron with LRTD ret which will not be the best for this style of shooting, if I understand the rules correctly the older deta Stryker would be ok to use as it has an RRP of £1380? But the new one isn’t acceptable at £1599?

Thanks in advance chaps

You dont need a rangefinder, but can use them to confirm ranges which are given. Some stages are ukd, so no rangefinders.

i think factory class will die out, its not really necessary. There were 40 competitors at round 4 and only one factory class rifle, and he won factory class, even with 6lb of lead weights added to his factory howa to completely change its charachteristics.

My 20+ year old r93 which cost £1200 when new was  not allowed in factory class because new r8’s cost £3000 even though they have larger and detachable mags - figure that😂. I still beat a lot of customs and ai’s etc. And was hitting the farthest targets on elr day with a 15x scope.

its not the rifle that wins, its the shooter.

enjoy!

Practice various shooting from various positions under “stress” 

Kneeling, sitting, standing leaning on wall, fence top, off inclined post for example. 

All will help you with your shooting regardless of entering competitions

If you kill deer, then this would be excellent practical experience for the precision rifle type Comp as you are under similar stress if the animal is aware of your presence, one rarely has stable shooting position and shot placement is imperative for humane kill

before anyone decrees I am advocating practicing on live quarry for a Comp I am not- I am saying the practical experience and skills gained from deer management run side by side in this type of competition  

Aids such as bags are useful, there are plenty of companies who make such things and some serious quality available from Canada and the US. There’s a uk company that make them too but despite attempts to contact them they haven’t responded to enquiries I have made.

You May “need” a tripod, however using quad sticks works for me and one could spend the equivalent of the cost of a rifle on a quality lightweight sturdy tripod and suitable mount for the gun

Above all I’d try and have fun and enjoy the comp, I’m sure this type of thing will continue to grow in the uk