transportation question

martin_b

Guys,  I'd like to take a rifle to work as Im shooting on tuesday evening.  Its just with a 22.lr  so i can either take my CZ bolt or my 10/22  issue is i will have to leave it locked in the car.

At least with the CZ i can take the bolt with me, but the 10/22 is more fun in gallery shooting. ( 25 rounds in  a few sec's is very cathartic)   

What would you do?

will your works let you take it in to your work place ?

I doubt it, its very open plan, thousands of people work there, and im often away from my desk. the car park is on a public road, but its a dead end with no through foot fall traffic. I also reckon as well as locking it out of sight I can get a bike D lock through the trigger guard to the structure of the car.

Security travel cable and lock through the mag well and action then secured to the vehicle at the very least

Remove bolt and ammunition 

Have those with you and secured 

That’s what I do when travelling to comps here and abroad if staying away from home 

You could go on to discuss the legalities and issues of having the weapon at work but I’ll keep it simple using the travel example 

That won't stop you car getting nicked. I'd think about it logically, are you taking all reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access to your firearms by leaving it in a car, on a public road, while you are elsewhere at work?

Plus, are you willing to risk your rifle and licence based on the opinions of people on an internet forum?

Unless you live so far from work, that it is totally impractical to return home to collect the rifle then go shooting, I personally wouldn't even contemplate it.

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

Unless you live so far from work, that it is totally impractical to return home to collect the rifle then go shooting, I personally wouldn't even contemplate it.

I would agree with this statement.

Thanks guy's I now think I've come up with a better plan. 

If I disassemble the gun,  I'm pretty sure I can leave each part in separate lockers at work.  And of course can transport in in my gym bag.  I'll measure up on monday. 

48 minutes ago, martin_b said:

If I disassemble the gun,  I'm pretty sure I can leave each part in separate lockers at work.  And of course can transport in in my gym bag.  I'll measure up on monday. 

How will this comply with security requirement for storage

Id make the journey back to home and collect instead of doing what you suggest 

2 hours ago, martin_b said:

Why not ring your FEO, tell them this and ask if that's ok?  If you aren't prepared to ask them and divulge what you want to do, then you have probably answered your own question about whether it is acceptable or not.

Im now thinking this has the potential to go horribly wrong for me, so maybe best leave the guns at home and borrow/hire one on arrival.  Thanks for the advice.

One serious question though which part of a rifle is the rifle? IYSWIM.  On the 10/22 you can remove the whole trigger unit and bolt  charging handle and stock in a few seconds ,  is what's left still a rifle.  I'm assuming the receiver is the important bit as it has the serial number .

cheers

Martin

3 hours ago, Roy W said:

Why not ring your FEO, tell them this and ask if that's ok?  If you aren't prepared to ask them and divulge what you want to do, then you have probably answered your own question about whether it is acceptable or not.

yes but try getting the answer in writting if he says its ok ?

S57 1D Firearms Act 1968 specifies the component parts (those which are subject to controls as a firearm in their own right);

For the purposes of subsection (1)(c), each of the following items is a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon—

(a)a barrel, chamber or cylinder,

(b)a frame, body or receiver,

(c)a breech block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the pressure of discharge at the rear of a chamber,

but only where the item is capable of being used as a part of a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon.