UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
martin_b

General purpose target rifle.

Hi all I'm now in a position to get my first big boys target rifle, however i also want to be a bit realistic in what in going to be able to achieve so I don't want to spend loads of money of gear I'll never be able to get the best out of ( it's taken me 40 years to be a reasonably competent clay shooter) so a bit of advice on calibre, rifle and scope would be appreciated.  Salient details are..

I shoot .22lr benchrest and enjoy it, but i'm really not that competitive.

I live about 40 mins from Bisley.. and I'll be retiring soon  so lots of shooting time available.

when i was younger i invested in beer and sports cars rather than my pension fund, (but boy did i have a good time) so cost is a consideration

I don't have the patience or manual dexterity  to reload, ( it would end badly!)

If i was in the USA Id be happy shooting steel targets all day.

current thinking is a Savage or a Ruger precision in .233  give's me the option of F/TR and cheapish Ammo.

Edited by martin_b
Cant spell

223 will limit your range potential significantly (600 yards) .......the ammo will be cheapish.

6mm or 6.5mm will be far more versatile and good for 1000+......  ammo a bit more spendy.

600 yards may seem far out at present BUT  once you have your drops sorted I assure you that you wll raise your eyes to the horizon!😀

Personally I agree with the above.

.223 will limit your range unless you buy factory ammunition loaded with heavy bullets (eg 77g, 80g +)...but you’ll need a rifle with an appropriate twist (1-8”, 1-7”) to properly accommodate and stabilise the heavy bullets...likely meaning a custom barrel = spendy.

A good off the shelf rifle should suit your needs, one in one of the following calibers will do you well out to 1000m. All these calibres have suitable factory and/or military surplus ammunition available, suitable to get you out to those ranges. In no particular order;

6mmBR, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308/7.62 NATO

There are plenty of other suitable calibres out there but the above will be easily available to buy ammunition for. Personally I’d look at a .308w/7.62 NATO for hitting steel with, or entering F class, particularly if on a budget...ammunition will be a bit cheaper compared to the others. 

My 2 pennies worth.

Plus 243 win, 260 rem

Not sure on factory ammo for those two.

Be mindful of the fact that if you decide to venture into F TR, as you intimated, you are limited to .223 and .308. Not many shoot the former these days, so you need a good 308 rig.

Thanks for all this guys, i bit of information i didn't mention is I've had a couple of serious neck injuries. Once playing rugby, once motor racing, so I'm conscious of recoil.  Now I can and do happily shoot 200+ 24g clay cartridges in couple of hours in competitions with absolutely no problems, but i have heard stories of  one shot with a rifle causing months of pain and  grief.

I have to say after a day's contemplation I am thinking a 6.5 creedmoor is the way to go, "Buy once Cry once" i believe is the expression. from what i understand it's  pretty low recoil, good to 1000 yards, and using Man maths, ammo isn't that much more expensive than .233 over a year.

If i could ask a supplementary questions how much ammo is it usual to shoot in a session?  I guess I average between 50-100 .22lr  so I assume full bore is less.

The calibres mentioned will not cause recoil problems.

Adding a moderator might be a good idea if recoil concerns you as it reduces the effect to a worthwhile degree.