6.5 questions

Thinking of having a 6.5 put together but don't know which one.no experience with the caliber. Creedmoor looks the favourite but what about the others.will de used for roe stalking and shooting steel mainly .bit of foxing. Varminting.what do you chaps think.answers much appreciated 

Agree with the above, though you’ll need a medium/long action for the 6.5x55 Swede as it’s a fair bit longer than a 6.5x47, 6.5 Creed, .260 etc. 

Though I have owned several 6.5x47 and it’s a lovely round. Very easy to reload and find a very accurate load for. 

I have a 260 rem built on a short action sako 75 and it’s very accurate but velocities are lower than expected, probably because it can’t optimise the long 6.5 bullets due to the short magazine length (everything is seated quite deep). I had a custom built last year and went long action with 6.5x284, partly because I wanted the extra velocity for lead free bullets. I can honestly say that I’ve never noticed the difference between short and long actions and love the calibre.

I have a sako 75 6.5x47, throated for 140 grain bullets and friend has a sako 75 6.5 creedmoor with similar throat. Shooting our to 1000y, he has 2 moa less elevation but otherwise nothing in it, wind calls make more of a difference. 

I am having a 6.5 creedmoor built so can use factory ammo if need be, just something else to think about. Sometimes I just don’t get time to reload.

Currently the best mouse trap is the 6.5 Creedmoor. 

You will get the 6.5 Creedmoor in factory rifles and there is plenty of factory ammunition on the shelves. 

It handles the longer higher BC bullets in a short action magazine without imposing on the powder space. 

The other cartridge options that have been discussed are all viable alternatives. They just aren’t quite as good. 

Although I do like the 6.5X47. 

As others have said 

creedmoor

on short action 

Limited to 130 in the 47 but could go to 150 with the creedmoor and faster twist barrel (7)

Long action, you can have 260(though many are made on short action it’s best served in long action ) 6.5/55 swede and 6.5/284 or even 6.5/06 

with these you can run 130-150 grain at high velocity to optimise BC and gain every ounce of performance 

The trade off with the latter two is barrel life 

Ive run 47 and 284 variants for years (multiple barrels on both guns) and not had any issue with performance on tissue or paper with either

• 2 weeks later...

Been a great fan of the  264wm for  long time, but  decided to trade down to a  6.5-06AI because of the  abundance of brass.

The reality was it was not  a trade down but a trade off in the  consumption of  powder, velocity is right up there with the  winnie and  accuracy is stunning. I can launch a 123gn sst @ 3350fps and it is sub 1/2 moa @ 500yds. enough for  anything I may encounter.

Unfortunately have to convert to copper,will have to see what limitations that brings, got some 120 gmx's will be trying them out  this weekend..

Looking forward to an outing with a good friend  of mine  who has  just had a rifle built by Ronin in 6.5-06,my custom 6.5-06  head stamped brass arrived this morning so will handing a few  over to him  for testing.. I do not  think it will be long before  this caliber becomes  standardized..

regards

N

4 hours ago, 264wm said:

Been a great fan of the  264wm for  long time, but  decided to trade down to a  6.5-06AI because of the  abundance of brass.

The reality was it was not  a trade down but a trade off in the  consumption of  powder, velocity is right up there with the  winnie and  accuracy is stunning. I can launch a 123gn sst @ 3350fps and it is sub 1/2 moa @ 500yds. enough for  anything I may encounter.

Unfortunately have to convert to copper,will have to see what limitations that brings, got some 120 gmx's will be trying them out  this weekend..

Looking forward to an outing with a good friend  of mine  who has  just had a rifle built by Ronin in 6.5-06,my custom 6.5-06  head stamped brass arrived this morning so will handing a few  over to him  for testing.. I do not  think it will be long before  this caliber becomes  standardized..

regards

N

Where did you get your 6.5-06 brass

• 2 weeks later...

Made it from either 25-06  or  necked down and trim 270 brass, but  have just acquired 100 new brass cases from the  US headstamped 6.5-06 from quality brass, flash holes are  bit  rough, just necked turn them this  morning and they are quite concentric.

The mainstay of brass for me was RWS/Norma 270 brass, good quality and reasonably concentric on the  neck..I did however resort to neck turning and  it improved the grouping and  consistency  greatly,also the  ES, came down from an avg of 25fps to 7fps.

Regards

N

Made it from either 25-06  or  necked down and trim 270 brass, but  have just acquired 100 new brass cases from the  US headstamped 6.5-06 from quality brass, flash holes are  bit  rough, just necked turn them this  morning and they are quite concentric.

The mainstay of brass for me was RWS/Norma 270 brass, good quality and reasonably concentric on the  neck..I did however resort to neck turning and  it improved the grouping and  consistency  greatly,also the  ES, came down from an avg of 25fps to 7fps.

Regards

N

Left to Right 264wm, 270, 6.5-06, 6.5-06 ackley

100_2907[1].JPG

Similar to 3500 from the 6.5/284 and 95 g GS Custom 

LTS hold sub half Moa and are effective on Disney’s favourite quadruped 

• 4 weeks later...