GRS berserk pillar bedding

Hi All 

Anyone had experience of fitting Ali pillars to a berserk stock. I’ve had problems in the past with the group wandering around. Tried experimenting with torque settings etc. Currently looking to upgrade the glass etc and hopefully iron out any glitches. 

I'm about to do it to a GRS hybrid laminate stock. Should be pretty straightforward. Measure carefully to find length required, decide what diameter you want, turn up pillars with a few grooves around the outside for the epoxy, drill hole in a piece of scrap plywood to check tightness of pillar. I plan to have it just tight enough to push in with my thumb. Then open up action screw holes, add a good smear of epoxy, push in until level and wipe off the excess.

But, it all depends on how the Berserk is constructed..............I've seen a yank composite stock, (can't remember the make) where the outer skin is hard but the inner part is a softer less dense material, probably used to reduce the weight. This could be a problem when you drill out the action screw holes..............

Pete

The issue with the Beserk is the material it’s made from - it won’t stick to bedding compound

You could probably insert pillars but they would be a slip fit and without bedding not really worthwhile doing

The laminate GRS stocks are at their best bedded

Im not sure you could do this with a Beserk model 

7 hours ago, Ronin said:

The issue with the Beserk is the material it’s made from - it won’t stick to bedding compound

You could probably insert pillars but they would be a slip fit and without bedding not really worthwhile doing

The laminate GRS stocks are at their best bedded

Im not sure you could do this with a Beserk model 

Cheers for the reply’s guys. I’m of the understanding that the existing moulded in pillars are of a stronger more dense material than the surrounding stock  material. I may look at the option of drilling out a reduced amount of the in situ pillars and going the interference fit route or even look at a thinner walled  pillar with a fine thread to bite into the parent material inserted in to offer resistance to what I think is varying levels of compression occurring when things heat up. I may be wrong but It’s worth looking at. 

I could be wrong, but isn’t this one of those ‘I wouldn’t start from here’ situations? Wouldn’t you be better off with selling your plastic stock and buying one made from laminate, GRP, carbon fibre or aluminium?

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

I could be wrong, but isn’t this one of those ‘I wouldn’t start from here’ situations? Wouldn’t you be better off with selling your plastic stock and buying one made from laminate, GRP, carbon fibre or aluminium?

You may well be right shuggy !! My only other experience with aftermarket stocks has been H.S. precision VS profile models on a pair of Armalon Remington, solid no hassle bits of kit 👍.  Hated the PSS model palm swell mind. I may try the mod I spoke of as it won’t cost me anything and if it works then great. Ergos on the stocks are great 243 with same stock does what it’s supposed to do but it’s only ever 1-2 shots max. but the 223 group wandering after a good few rounds bugs me big time.  

I have 2 of these stocks, one on a 22-250 and one on a 243

My pal also has 2, one on a 243 and one on a 30-06

All of these stocks were straight drop ins out of the box, no bedding, no pillars etc

We've never had problems with zero shifting on any of the 4 stocks.

I think you may be looking in the wrong place for the source of your problem

Cheers

Bruce

1 hour ago, phoenix said:

I have 2 of these stocks, one on a 22-250 and one on a 243

My pal also has 2, one on a 243 and one on a 30-06

All of these stocks were straight drop ins out of the box, no bedding, no pillars etc

We've never had problems with zero shifting on any of the 4 stocks.

I think you may be looking in the wrong place for the source of your problem

Cheers

Bruce

Both rifles are howa heavy barrel and both stocks exactly the same. 243 does  the business no probs but the round count is never high. 223 is fine until a few rounds are down and some heat generated. Not enough to affect the barrel I’d say as the groups stay tight but the poi defo shifts. Both stocks and actions set up exactly the same, decent mounts and glass on each. It’s not a show stopper but more annoying than anything. 

• 3 weeks later...

I personaly would never buy a beserk , because of the risk of movement . My choice would be a proper composit or laminate and have bedded , iv just got a boyds laminate for a cz527 it will be bedded when its re- barrled and as for movement ? Well the barrel wont touch thats for sure - youll understand when i upload a pic - the boyds are reletivly cheap . But should give peace of mind once bedded . 

IMG_20190727_084918.jpg

IMG_20190727_084949.jpg

Edited by gunner
Pictures