Perfect PRL rifle

Shendy

Shendy like most things it depends, if used in a harsh environment- like a sandy range then AI hands down. Hint I saw several very nice rifles suffer bolt and trigger issues at this years cz sniper comp - on a very sandy range. 

If not used in a harsh environment or harshly then TikTac for the value option and kelbly NYX for the posh option. 

Scope - what you like ffp with a reticle you like - the 5-25 market is packed with offerings from the usual suspects - Steiner, Vortex , S&B etc. Personally I want a bigger top end - less choice Nightforce ATACR, March fx 5-40, S&B 5-45 pm2 or IOR Crusader fit the bill.

Bipods- there are a a lot of gucci carbon bipods now Tier One would be my first choice unless again harsh environment- then AI, Harris and Parker Hale seem to be more reliable- not a thing of quality just a thing of generous tolerance.

Caliber - most of what I shoot is limited to service calibers so 338 LM with a 20” barrel works for me. For most it would not be a good choice-  6.5 Creedmoor is where it’s at at the moment.

If ‘robust’ is on your wish list - then AI. Otherwise like Steve Mc Queen said how fast you want to go - how much money you got! 

Impact 737R action

MPA Competition Chassis

6.5x47L, 6.5 Creed or 6 Dasher

Any of the top barrels, 26”, Heavy Varmint or MTU contour

Area 419 Sidewinder brake

Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, set @ #1lb

Harris bipod (quicker to release under time constraints)

Any of the top scopes. I would have a preference for any with a Horus H59 reticle for fast holdovers. Personally I like the 5-25x56 PMII’s turret design...just me.

Just an opinion.

20 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Impact 737R action

MPA Competition Chassis

6.5x47L, 6.5 Creed or 6 Dasher

Any of the top barrels, 26”, Heavy Varmint or MTU contour

Area 419 Sidewinder brake

Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, set @ #1lb

Harris bipod (quicker to release under time constraints)

Any of the top scopes. I would have a preference for any with a Horus H59 reticle for fast holdovers. Personally I like the 5-25x56 PMII’s turret design...just me.

Just an opinion.

I was thinking something in 6.5 or heavy 6mm.

barrel 24-26 just so its easy moving on stages.

ffp scope as you say quick corrections

48 minutes ago, Shendy said:

I was thinking something in 6.5 or heavy 6mm.

barrel 24-26 just so its easy moving on stages.

ffp scope as you say quick corrections

The 6’s are ballistically better but will be harder on barrels and might be more difficult to spot splash at distance, especially in bad weather.

26” barrels give great velocity without needing to up charge weights too far. The extra length and weight will give greater balance and stability keeping you on target better.

FFP scopes are definitely better for quick holdovers and turret dialling. But do consider looking at specific holdover reticles, like the ‘Christmas Tree’ type. Some may think they’re too cluttered but you soon get past that with some training. The benefit is that you simply have a 100m zero and you never need to touch the turrets when transitioning between targets, just use the reticle holdovers. This saves HUGE time on stages that require multiple engagements in a short time frame.

1 minute ago, Catch-22 said:

The 6’s are ballistically better but will be harder on barrels and might be more difficult to spot splash at distance, especially in bad weather.

26” barrels give great velocity without needing to up charge weights too far. The extra length and weight will give greater balance and stability keeping you on target better.

FFP scopes are definitely better for quick holdovers and turret dialling. But do consider looking at specific holdover reticles, like the ‘Christmas Tree’ type. Some may think they’re too cluttered but you soon get past that with some training. The benefit is that you simply have a 100m zero and you never need to touch the turrets when transitioning between targets, just use the reticle holdovers. This saves HUGE time on stages that require multiple engagements in a short time frame.

I struggled at the weekend with my 243 spotting slash on the long distance stages.

Ive always stayed away from the Christmas tree rets, currently on SFP nxs scope think a change would help me improve.

Not shot any of the latter US PRS or UK PRL, but generally FFP scopes in any flavour you are happy with (mil/moa)

Action to me does not really matter, it’s just holding the cartridge in the back of the barrel, you won’t win or loose by not having a ‘nice’ action. Re the tolerance on the action re new barrels, could see being an advantage, but if you are using the same smith then not advantage.

Barrel contours being suggested seem a bit heavy, medium Palma has the accuracy with a slight weight saving ( and the reason the original AI’s had that profile)

what seems to be missing off the list is the ubiquitous £1000 tripod and about 20 different bag rests 😁😂

A nice trigger that is reliable and not fussy about a bit of dirt would be a good option.

Terry

Hmm, I would disagree re barrel weights.

Thing is, the AI’s had lighter profile barrels because it’s all about compromise. The solider, with heavily laden Bergen, a rifle that’s heavy to begin with and carrying all the other kit, plus tabbing somewhere for 12+ hrs isn’t quite the same as the PRS game. Shoot a stage and the rifle gets set down. Plenty of time to have a breather and regain ones strength, so no reason not to go heavier if you can.

The heavier profiles are better because they’re stiffer (proven to produce better accuracy), offer better balance and permit longer shot strings before accuracy wanes. 

Interestingly, it seems that the vast majority of PRS shooters in the US are now switching over to heavier profiles after several years of shooting medium or heavy Palmer contours. Some even seemingly use a full bull barrel (I think the PRS’s 6th top shot was shooting a 26” bull). So I wouldn’t shy away from the heavier profiles.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/

Catch-22,

Trying not to go too far off topic, re. following 'what the pros use' or any competition result driven decision. The trends have always been cyclic i.e. the guy who wins was using brand X barrel, so everyone swaps to brand X ('cause it's what the top shooter uses), which overloads their supply, so a good shooter then goes to brand Y and wins, so brand Y is now top.

Totally disagree with a free floating Palm profile moving POI or becoming inaccurate when it gets hot, but we can agree to disagree on this. (caveat - depends on how/who built the rifle).

Agree you do not need to shy away from heavy profiles, I just do not see them as the panacea for the only way to win.

T