RCBS Rockchucker Supreme - too short for long cases

Popsbengo

Hi

I have an RCBS Rockchucker which is a great press except it's a bit short for .338 cases.  Various dies are only a few threads screwed in. I'm aware that the new model is longer in the body because of this problem.

My question is does anyone make/know of an extending top bushing (1.1/4 x 12 ext -  7/8 x 14 internal)  that will space the standard die further out with a decent thread engagement?

I guess I can make one but if there's a simple solution I'd consider it.

Something for you to try....

The threaded element that the die screws in to is itself threaded in to the cast body.  You could try backing it out to give the height you need then red loctite / epoxy in place 

I have done this to my Rockchucker to allow me to interchange dies between my bench and hand press without adjustment but I only needed about 5mm.  I don’t know what the max would be.

Tony

35 minutes ago, TC said:

Re reading your post you have obviously already realised you can unscrew the top component so this is likely redundant advice !

😊  I have contemplated just making a 15mm spacer to put under the threaded bush, I would prefer more thread engagement to ensure maximum stiffness.  I may resort to making a new bush,  £10 for steel and some time in the shed with my lathe, seems like a plan !

The larger size thread accepts Hornady LNL bushing conversion. The conversion is a rather long threaded part on itself and can therefore be installed over a spacer, raised approximately 10-12mm or 1/2". Plus the bushings make life easier.

19 minutes ago, Lukas_K said:

The larger size thread accepts Hornady LNL bushing conversion. The conversion is a rather long threaded part on itself and can therefore be installed over a spacer, raised approximately 10-12mm or 1/2". Plus the bushings make life easier.

I did wonder about those, cheers