6 Creedmoor

Scotch_egg

Ā 

I want a barrel to compliment my 6.5 creedmoor and .308 in my switch barrel setup. I want this for fox, I know controversial given most of the chat on here is target shooting šŸ˜‚

I want to run a 20ā€ barrel. Initially IĀ was thinking 22-250 but donā€™t think it will perform well with a short barrel.Ā 

I am nowĀ thinking 6 Creedmoor and run 87gr V-Max. I ran them in my 6mmbr to great effect and having seen this article I imagine it will be able to push them at a decent velocity.Ā 

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/01/6-creedmoor-barrel-length-versus-muzzle-velocity-31-to-17-inches/

Ā 

Any alternatives considered. It needs to be a .473 bolt face.Ā 

2 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

For what it is worth Mike Norris once told me that the optimum length for a 243 barrel is 21.75 inches

Ā 

He stole that info

Ā 

http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-by-dave-scott-precision-shooting-magazine-special-edition-1-1993.pdf

Can you "steal info" surely the transfer of knowledge is the foundation of all learning?

Why not 21.8Ā or 21.7 ? or something else entirely.Ā Possibly a rule of thumb butĀ not science.

An interesting article but I think it's unreasonable to suggest a barrel length without reference to cross sectional area, the profile, Young's modulus of the steel and other factors such as the action interface stiffness. What about the varying impulse from differing loads? Ā  The fact their shooting results were superb doesn't necessarily back into their assumptions on barrel length.

If you have an article where they test barrels in differing lengths, differing profiles, differing cross sections etc etc I'd be very interested to read it.

Ā 

I run a 22BR for foxing in an AI AX chassis. When looking at barrel length I confess I went purely for aesthetics as I wanted my mod to fit snuggly up toĀ Ā the barrel shield.

Goes against conventional wisdom but ended up at 19.75"

Shoots way better than me with 50grnĀ Bergers running at 3640fps........not had any complaints from Charlie out to 400yds....just bang flop !

Bonus is hardly any recoil in that chassis so get to see the whole show. Ā Can't recommend the cartridge highly enough.

Attached is a 5 shot group at 200yds.

Regards, Rob.

Ā 

IMG_1985.jpg

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

Can you "steal info" surely the transfer of knowledge is the foundation of all learning?

Why not 21.8Ā or 21.7 ? or something else entirely.Ā Possibly a rule of thumb butĀ not science.

An interesting article but I think it's unreasonable to suggest a barrel length without reference to cross sectional area, the profile, Young's modulus of the steel and other factors such as the action interface stiffness. What about the varying impulse from differing loads? Ā  The fact their shooting results were superb doesn't necessarily back into their assumptions on barrel length.

If you have an article where they test barrels in differing lengths, differing profiles, differing cross sections etc etc I'd be very interested to read it.

Ā 

Im not sure you can steal info but you can mislead others as to where it came from and who found it out!

Just now, lapua said:

Im not sure you can steal info but you can mislead others as to where it came from and who found it out!

did he do that? Ā Did he say he'd discovered this relationship himself?

Ā 

Ā 

15 minutes ago, lapua said:

Everything is stolen, especially in the UK shooting/gun world

Just look at my sidecharging handles, single screw and pin to affix, all the others do that and they all nicked it from me

Ā 

As for the 21.75", probably came from Quickload

Unbelievable this site sometimes.I swear some folk would argue over day and night.I merely offered up some advice given to me by a gunsmith whose opinion I value...I never said it was his knowledge he imparted or did I ask. him from whence it came...following that gem it would appear that I have spent all my life stealing information Ā from others..best stop learning whilst I still have my freedom then.Btw I read that article myself at a later dateĀ 

Some folkĀ need to get a grip,a life or both.

Ā 

25 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Unbelievable this site sometimes.I swear some folk would argue over day and night.I merely offered up some advice given to me by a gunsmith whose opinion I value...I never said it was his knowledge he imparted or did I ask. him from whence it came...following that gem it would appear that I have spent all my life stealing information Ā from others..best stop learning whilst I still have my freedom then.Btw I read that article myself at a later dateĀ 

Some folkĀ need to get a grip,a life or both.

Ā 

I think you will find theres a few who dont value that particular gunsmiths opinion hence the anti.

39 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Brilliant! šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Pete

Isn't it a problem getting the fox to stand still while you straddle him with fire ? Ā Not very sportingĀ šŸ¤£

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

šŸ˜‚ Yup, 6cm, great calibre - but, too much for fox? ā˜ŗ

WNGER_6cm-21_skc00_2nd_Marine-1_pic.thumb.jpg.b3d6539d0ce857c0903e4d92bf97d3eb.jpg

I have used a .243 for years and agree it is a excellent round. With the goodĀ availability of 6CMĀ brass I fancy a change

Ā 

As for 6mm being too much for fox, itā€™s not much bigger than 5.56. Plus I know CM feeds through the rifle.

I think Iā€™m going with 18ā€ having looked at the link I posted. The 107ā€™s are doing 2920 which is the same speed Iā€™ve been running 105ā€™s in my 6mmbr with a 26ā€ barrel.Ā 

18 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

I think Iā€™m going with 18ā€ having looked at the link I posted. The 107ā€™s are doing 2920 which is the same speed Iā€™ve been running 105ā€™s in my 6mmbr with a 26ā€ barrel.Ā 

What barrel life are you expecting running 107s at 2920 v a 6BR running similar?

2 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

What barrel life are you expecting running 107s at 2920 v a 6BR running similar?

Ā 

I should imagine 1800 will be within easy reach. As this will be used primarily for fox and small deer it will take me a very long time to reach that figure.Ā 

I have no idea what the barrel life expectancy of the 6mmbr is. It is a lovely cartridge to shoot and I will always have a soft spot for it.

Ā 

But for 8ā€ less barrel the 6CM will be easier to handle.Ā 

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

As for 6mm being too much for fox, itā€™s not much bigger than 5.56.

We can state, from original research rather than plagiarism, that 6mm is exactly 0.44 mm bigger than 5.56mm. Whether the fox would appreciate the difference could be a topic of further research if there is enough interest in the subject and a grant to fund it.

8 hours ago, Rob1562 said:

I run a 22BR for foxing in an AI AX chassis. When looking at barrel length I confess I went purely for aesthetics as I wanted my mod to fit snuggly up toĀ Ā the barrel shield.

Goes against conventional wisdom but ended up at 19.75"

Shoots way better than me with 50grnĀ Bergers running at 3640fps........not had any complaints from Charlie out to 400yds....just bang flop !

Bonus is hardly any recoil in that chassis so get to see the whole show. Ā Can't recommend the cartridge highly enough.

Attached is a 5 shot group at 200yds.

Regards, Rob.

Ā 

IMG_1985.jpg

Man of me own heart šŸ‘šŸ˜