45-70 Load data

DeLaRue

Hi All....I have on order a 45-70 cal Pedersoli Sharps 1874 Competition rifle with a 34" barrel which I understand has a 1-18 twist.......It will be fitted with the Pedersoli Long Range Creedmore sight. 

I intend to try & shoot this beast at 600yds-1000yds with either a 480g Spitzer or 405g RNFP head over Starline brass with a either a magnum or standard long rifle primer. I have already got the Hornady Custom Grade 3 die set (F/L, Seater & Expander) in this calibre.

Is there anyone out there with any experience of a load/choice of powder for this combination? Any thoughts or advice would be welcome....👍

Thank you....

A nice full case of Swiss No.4 compressed about a tenth of an inch would be a good start..

You'll probably find you dont need the dies! I never used mine for the 45-90.

The main concern is bullet to bore fit, the right lube and keep it clean - most BPCR shooters will patch out between shots. 

Morning De La Rue,

If you do a search in the reloading section for ‘BPCR reloading’ I put a piece in there on this subject.

As Vince said the 45-70 will be most accurate with black powder, I use either 2 or 3F, primarily Swiss no.3 (which is 2F). Some compression is normally required, .05” to .1” to start but you’ll need to play with this in your rifle. You will require an over powder wad to protect the base of the bullet. If you end up compressing the powder to a larger degree then you need a compression die.

The bullets you list are a bit on the light side for 1000 yards, personally I would go for something 520g or a bit heavier. also do not be too worried re the spitzer shape as BPCR are not travelling that fast so not an issue. If you are buying a mold then have a look at Buffalo Arms’s web site, they make a good selection of turned molds, one of the Money designs with a reduced first driving band is an excellent choice. Commercially made cast bullets in the UK are not normally up to the job I’m afraid.

A good bullet lube such as SPG will work. As to wiping, I personally use a blow tube for ‘greasers’ but would wipe for paper patched (using a bore pig or similar). NB Vince - wiping was banned by the NRA in the 1800’s (for ‘military’ reasons), do not think the rule was ever lifted! 😁

BPCR’s are brilliant piece of kit once the loads sorted, bit of patience and you will have a good bit of fun with them. Good luck and feel free to PM if you run into any ‘funnies’ .

Brgds

Terry

ps Also do a search in the reloading section on ‘Casting’ if you’re new to cast accurate rifle bullets.

Good morning Vince, Terry & All!

Thank you very much for your replies, very much appreciated....however...I don't want to upset the BP fraternity but I do not intend to use Black Powder, it's not really what I want to do.

I reload for 7 other calibres, mainly military rifles, using the facilities at my local club. I don't have the room for molding my own heads either there or at home. I have my press/dies etc. set up on my loading bench there & besides all that there are the issues with BP storage. I'm sure someone said that we were not allowed to do so at the club because of H&S/Insurance issues.....

As I did with all my other rifles I will develop a load that suits but I was looking for a starting point recipe for those weight of heads using smokeless powder, Alliant Reloader 7....H4198 or something similar?

Thanks again!

Cheers...

DeLaRue

Ah, in that case get hold of the Lyman cast bullet manual #4 which has all the info you will need

A good powder is Accurate 5744 aka Lovex D060 in the 45-70

still feel the commercial bullets will limit your potential accuracy, if you come to an impasse shout and I’ll sort you some ‘nice’ cast items 

brgds Terry

I use Triple 7 for my New Army revolver so that might be a good idea.....thanks to you all for taking the time to post your thoughts....it's much appreciated, cheers! 👍